Nubian or mini Nubian?

jrs11

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Yes if I fed alfalfa cubes I'd have to break them up. I mostly asked about the cubes because I know my local tractor supply carries them. I'm not sure if they carry pellets, I've never looked but when I go later I'll check. And if they don't have them I'm sure the co op we get our feed from will.

And thank you! I was really excited about this little doeling's bloodlines but her size is very concerning to me.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
She is pure Nubian. We bred minis for awhile. She is not a mini. A first gen mini would not have a pronounced Roman Nose nor long pendulous ears. The ears are shorter and usually airplane or slight drop. Heads, even a really good 1st gen will not have the head of a Nubian. Your doe meets requirements she is just small.
I think you'd do better to get on a scale and pick her up. Tape weights are not very accurate. She is definitely more than 47 lbs.
She may just be slower growing or small. I wouldn't be too concerned. Get the fecal done deworm as needed. Make sure you follow through on deworming as most dewormers only affect 4th stage.
Minerals are critical for healthy growth.

I wouldn't worry about parentage DNA as she is Nubian but I would look at the G6S.

Alfalfa cubes are great but they are big and I know when we have given them in the past we had to break them up. They were hard and the goats choked on them.
Rice bran will add weight.
Just keep the calcium phosphorus ratio at 2:1 or greater up to 4:1

BTW sometimes it just happens. I have had twin sisters where one grew great and the other just was small.
I would not breed her this season. Wait til next.

jrs11

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you. I do believe she is full Nubian now, I just had googled "mini nubians" and saw tons of pictures of small Nubians and got worried. I know now that the pictures that came up were not f1 mini Nubians :)

Definitely won't be breeding her this season. I did get on the scale with her too - showed right at 50lbs, but I was alone and having trouble seeing over her so I taped her too. She's for sure not over 50lbs. A bag of feed weighs more than her. She's tiny. Perhaps it's the pictures making her appear larger, but she is very, very small.

I do intend on breaking up the alfalfa cubes - I didn't even feed them whole to horses lol.

Thank you for the advice :)

Latest posts