Oberhasli heat in May?

Parie88

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello, I have a friend who recently purchased a supposedly pregnant Oberhasli goat. I went to take a look at her because the friend is a new goat owner and was worried about the goat being past her due date. I wasn’t able to take photos but this goat did not look in the least close to kidding. Her udder is completely flaccid, her vulva is tiny and I cannot feel any fetal movement. What’s got me unsure is that she’s been having clear mucus discharge for a few days. Could the goat be in heat in May? Could the discharge be a sign she miscarried with the seller? I’m not new to goat but still not an “expert”. Any input would be helpful Thanks

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hello, I have a friend who recently purchased a supposedly pregnant Oberhasli goat. I went to take a look at her because the friend is a new goat owner and was worried about the goat being past her due date. I wasn’t able to take photos but this goat did not look in the least close to kidding. Her udder is completely flaccid, her vulva is tiny and I cannot feel any fetal movement. What’s got me unsure is that she’s been having clear mucus discharge for a few days. Could the goat be in heat in May? Could the discharge be a sign she miscarried with the seller? I’m not new to goat but still not an “expert”. Any input would be helpful Thanks
With some of my goats... I had no idea they were pregnant until they kidded.

And also...... just because she is supposed to be a seasonal breeder... doesn't mean she read that page of the breed book.

Discharge usually means she is about to kid. Did you feel for her ligaments? The ones at the tail head? That is the only way I knew if a goat was about to kid. Those ligaments usually feel just like pencils... and then about 24 hours before birth they vanish.

The udder can be anything at any time...

But it is odd that she has discharge and a tiny vulva at the same time... that would make me think she isn't pregnant.

Discharge at birth I would think would have to be paired with an engorged vulva.

So... I think we are stuck with random guesses..

Could be a miscarriage, could be heat, could be a ???????

Parie88

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
With some of my goats... I had no idea they were pregnant until they kidded.

And also...... just because she is supposed to be a seasonal breeder... doesn't mean she read that page of the breed book.

Discharge usually means she is about to kid. Did you feel for her ligaments? The ones at the tail head? That is the only way I knew if a goat was about to kid. Those ligaments usually feel just like pencils... and then about 24 hours before birth they vanish.

The udder can be anything at any time...

But it is odd that she has discharge and a tiny vulva at the same time... that would make me think she isn't pregnant.

Discharge at birth I would think would have to be paired with an engorged vulva.

So... I think we are stuck with random guesses..

Could be a miscarriage, could be heat, could be a ???????
Her ligaments are tight tight tight! Nothing about this goat says pregnant to me, BUT the discharge.

And here we are waiting for a goat to maybe kid. I swear they do it on purpose haha!

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's possible that she's been in heat. Some does will have a discharge - others not so much.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Maybe get a rag covered in buck scent and see how she reacts. My does wouldn't give the buck the time of day if pregnant. Might give you a clue if she likes the rag slot of could care less and then again might not work at all lol goats are goats.