Oberhasli milk taste

VelandersFarm

Just born
Reaction score
Does Ober milk taste "goaty" I've read different opinions on this and would like to be knowledgeable before buying them. The best milk I've tried was Nubian but I would like to have some Obers!

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ask seller for a cold sample.

What they eat, how the milk is handled and a person's own taste buds can affect it. I have Saanen, Nubians and crosses of those. Saanen is my personal fav.
X2.

Feed is a HUGE factor in taste.

Mineral deficiency can cause bitter milk.

A huge Parr of the taste is how much fat you like in your milk.

At our house we drink 2% store bought, so Sannen milk tasted best to us. Nubian has so much more fat... I have no interest in drinking half and half...

But of course... the amount of fat in the milk, is not just a breed thing, but also an individual doe thing.

And as to handling of milk... HUGE difference in taste. Milk 12 hours old verses 24 hours old, HUGE difference. If it was cooled super fast... or pasteurized.... all HUGE changes in taste.

The older the milk the more "goat" taste.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
The worst tasting milk is from Toggenburgs. We bought them first for house milk 35 years ago. Sold them 32 years ago. :lol: Beautiful udders and did well in shows, but we used our milk in the house so since we hated the taste we sold them.

Our preference is first, Nubian (we like rich milk) and second LaMancha (not as much butterfat but still tasty). We found Alpine milk not so tasty. We never had Saanens so can't judge it. Oberhaslis are an Alpine breed so probably tastes much like their milk.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ask seller for a cold sample.

What they eat, how the milk is handled and a person's own taste buds can affect it.
Definitely taste the milk from whatever breed you like. Preferably from the goat you plan to buy. We raised our children on goat milk. As teenagers they never had a single pimple for some reason.

Use stainless steel buckets, wash the udders before and after miking, strain the milk, and immediately refrigerate. Keep the milk in glass containers not plastic. Make sure to keep all miking supplies and containers sanitary. There is a special dairy soap you can use. Milk solids will bond to surfaces if you don't wash in cold water first. Best plan is to drink the morning's milk in pm and the night miking in the am after it has been refrigerated. Leftovers can be used in cooking, or to feed calves, pigs, or chickens depending on how much you have.

We dumped the leftover milk over corn and let it sit 12 hours before slopping the hogs. Xlt for pork. We also fed bull dairy calves birth to 2 months, then we took them to auction for hay money. At the time we were milking 12-20 does am and pm. High yielders too. Lots of fun.

You will need 2 dairy does for household milk and breed them at different times so you have one in milk while the other is dry for 2 months before kidding.

BEWARE! Dairy goats are addictive! :lol::lol::lol:

Latest posts