Oberhaslis with American Blackbellies?

Steve Quintavalli

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Would it be ok to have those two animals together in a small mixed herd? Only two ewes and two does and possibly one wether from each, to round it out to 6 animals in total, three goat and three sheep?

I like these as they have similar sizes, colors, and have horns. I know the sheep have good parasite resistance but don't know much about Oberhasli goats parasite resistance. (Also understand the copper issue.) Bottom line is I like the way those two look, the black and brown/tan and they seem to match in that regard. I also like the fact that Oberhasli goats have a sweet tasting milk with a somewhat high butterfat content (3.5ish?). I would only use them for milk and the sheep, well, for looks. They would both really be for looks to be honest as well as to gain first hand experience with both species. I have no intentions of eating them as we would likely spend a lot of time with them and my wife would probably "harvest" me if I processed one (the ewes or sheep wether) for meat.

I understand the browse vs graze and pasture rotation, etc. We are closing on 10 acres (minus 30' easement) and they would live there. I intend to have a barn for them to stay in at night but can they all be together or should I segregate them? Will the wethers want to play fight or will the goats try to dominate the sheep or vise versa or is that all a personality issue and not a species vs species issue?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Some who have raised sheep and goats together have had goats bully the sheep, others it is revers. Some raise them with no problem other than nutritional differences.
In our case the sheep (a ewe and wether) began ramming our does. I cannot have pregnant does aborting. It also stressed the LGD's out because they are highly bonded to the goats.
We eventually separated the sheep. Then we got rid of them. We had Jacobs.

Our dairy goats are disbudded so no horns here. Our Jacobs were 2 horned but the ramming was violent.

Your biggest issue is the mineral. Goats need a lot of copper and depending on your region and land a bolus may not be adequate, needing at least a certain level on a daily basis.
It sounds like you have plenty of land so it may work for you but if you are going to want milk from your dairy does they need to eat. They need those minerals to grow healthy kids and adequate feed in order to produce. Feeding sheep feed to a dairy goat is not adequate.

Also if you breed goats for milk then you will have kids. Think your plan out now as to what you will do with the bucks. Wethering and sending to market (freezer) is the most humane thing to do. There are not enough buyers for bucks and lets face it, medium and standard size goats that are wethered are not in any kind of demand for a pet. When you have been in goats long enough you'll see why I say HUMANE! Many animals get tossed around, resold, not cared for, etc. Many buy them for companions for intact bucks. Intact bucks can be quite brutal on wethers. Have a plan.

As far as your location. A state is helpful as it helps us to help you when asking questions. Different mineral content on the land from region to region is why I looked at where you were located.

Steve Quintavalli

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Sorry about that, the land is in northern Idaho, kootenai county (on the border with Bonner county). I didn't plan on keeping any intact males until I got a handle on the females and wethers. I want to go slow, year by year. I'm not in this for the money, any animal I buy will be my responsibility to the end. this is all still a few years away, I don't want to walk into a disaster so I'm asking and reading a lot.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good move! Reading and preparing asking lots of question are all very smart things to do! :)
Because of your location you will want to also look at predator control. Idaho has some serious predator issues right now and it appears it will be getting worse.
LGD's are great however where you are you will need a TEAM, not one or two. (I follow an Idaho group- lol )

Keep this in mind as well.
From what I understand finding vet care is also a real problem and they have a lot of wacky laws regarding another goat/sheep owner coming to your farm and helping you with certain things. Like castration, disbudding, shots... it's nuts.

Steve Quintavalli

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Yea, the predator problem is actually concerning. There was a grizzly in Athol and then a woman had four of her German shepherds attacked by a cougar, all this summer within a two weeks of each other and in/near Athol, which is where the land is. My plan was at least six LGDs. I love giant breed dogs and sometimes think I will need a farm just to feed them. (So poultry and rabbits will be on their menu). Nothing is staying outside at night, a barn will be built that can close up tight.