October Crazy-Hip Replacement

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
October has started with more than the usual amount of crazy that goes on in our lives. BJ is scheduled for hip replacement October 14 and is counting down. He is in pain, lurching around and very unhappy at being sidelined. The good news is that the doctor said that his recovery won't be near what it was for knee and shoulder replacement. That is good news, he will be able to get back in the swing of things sooner.

I had 45 Cornish Cross chickens, 15 were two weeks older. Slaughter date was NOW for the older CCX. I had 7 old laying hens to slaughter to make way for the 9 new pullets. So I called Neighbor Ron, offered him the laying hens for the freezer if he would come help slaughter them. He was happy to do so and we got them on their way to freezer camp at his house. I had given him 5 of the Cornish Cross chicks to raise and promised to help him slaughter them, so we did them next. I did this to teach him how to raise his own meat, he and his wife are both on disability.

I had also promised Neighbor Russell 10 CCX in trade for him keeping and feeding the steer we bought from him until the pigs went to slaughter. So Ron said he would help slaughter 5 of those too. We got'er done! I had 5 to do for Neighbor Robert and still 5 to do for Russell. When Robert was supposed to come over to help butcher his, workmen showed up to do a job he had waited for weeks to get done, so BJ and I did it, plus 1 more of Russell's. Then yesterday we did the last 4 of Russell's and got them delivered to their freezer. Somewhere in the middle of all that, I picked 280 jalapenos from 6 plants. My pig customer wanted canned jalapeno slices plus 5 dozen fresh for poppers, so I canned 7 quarts of jalapeno slices and picked out 6 dozen for poppers, delivered the same day. Plus I did 4 loads of laundry, I was on a roll. BJ asked where I was getting all that energy and I told him I thought I was just so happy it wasn't slaughtering chickens! Whew! I can take a breather now.

October 7, BJ goes for pre-registration, then a lunch that they provide, followed by a class on joint replacement. That sounds like an all day long appointment.

October 9, we meet DD halfway to pick up the 3 grand daughters, then meet again October 12 to return them. BJ gets a day to recover before going to surgery. Doctor says that he will be up and on his feet just hours after surgery and can go home the next day.

About the time he goes to surgery is when I need to butcher the remaining CCX. I may be a week or two late on that.......

Yesterday, I caught Sheba and Sentry chasing and mauling the 9 pullets. I got to them before they killed any, but 2 of the pullets were laying still in shock. I held them and revived the poor things. In the meantime, I locked Sheba and Sentry in the coop and the wrath of Hades descended upon them. I rolled up a paper feed sack and beat the crap out of both of them. Between my screaming, cussing and more screaming and their yelping like I poured hot boiling oil over them, we made quite a noise. I locked them both in a small pen after that and fed them there too. They usually come in the house every evening to eat, their privileges have been revoked. They are on lockdown and will attend the Class Of Non-Chicken Chasing until I am satisfied they have learned better and mended their evil ways.

We went through a pack upheaval several months ago, the recipients of all that was the guineas. The dogs whittled them down to 1, plus Robert's that flew over here to escape a snake. Boy, that was a dumb move! I never could catch the dogs killing the guineas, I did catch then chasing a few times and all were soundly scolded. Well THAT didn't do any good. Sentry was always curiously absent when I found yet another dead guinea. Sneaky little bastard. Sheba would chase and was a clueless dummy when scolded. So yesterday, catching them both in the act was a good thing. I did catch Trip with 2 in the same day and went ballistic on him, like I never have. He spent 3 weeks locked up in the back yard and came out, deciding killing guineas wasn't so much fun after all.

Sentry is the little kid that convinces all the other neighbor kids to throw eggs at cars, then hightails it home before the cops show up, leaving his cohorts in crime to take the heat. Catching him yesterday was vastly satisfying. Haha, gotcha' NOW!

I need to get outside, do chores, and turn the sheep in the garden for fall clean up.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
There must be something in the air - Belle got a chicken a week or so ago and she got the "whoop-a$$" treatment too. I saw her lunge after one a couple days later and after I reminded her of what happened to her the last time she went chicken hunting and she changed her mind, lol.

Prayers for BJ's upcoming surgery. I know you both will be glad to get it behind him!

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
yepper, October doesn't look any better than September, 2020 will come to a end and HOPEFULLY 2021 will be a much better year for everyone :fl
I parked the dogs outside area right next to the chicken area...they WILL learn to be good neighbors ( cuz I can see everything from the back porch)....
Sure hope BJ has a easy recovery time with his hip (for your sake too) ...DH is just starting to be able to help with some things and I am thrilled to tears, way too much that needs to be done for only one old fart to do alone :bow

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Today we went to the pre-registration and a joint replacement class. It took most of the day, but now we just walk in on surgery day and hand them a slip of paper. It's done.

There was a young man, 41 years old, having hip replacement also. He used a walking stick, lurched from side to side and was in obvious pain. Me being the big mouth that I am, told him that he looked too young to be in such bad shape, what did he do to himself. :lol: He said being a rodeo bull rider and jumping off roofs when he was a home builder. Yep, that'll do it.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We leave at 2:00 PM to drive to Cisco, TX to meet DD and pick up our granddaughters. That’ll be a 3 hour drive, maybe longer, we have to go through Dallas and Fort Worth. Then come back, should be home around 9-ish tonight. I’ll feed at daylight this morning then before we leave. Mainly concerned about the Cornish Cross, they have to EAT! I was out yesterday morning with s flashlight because we had to be at our appointment so early. Sheba barked at the flashlight, she didn’t like it.

Another crazy day, but so worth it to see our girls!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
2020 has been the crappers for everyone I think? :barnie I hope 2021 is a better year...:fl
Literally in the crapper. In the height of the toilet paper shortage, we found toilet paper in a town over an hour away, bought all we could, brought home and shared with some very happy neighbors. :lol:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yesterday Dr office called, BJ has a urine infection and the blood they drew for testing clotted up and they couldn’t use it. So we had to go to the clinic for another blood draw, pick up prescription and come back home. Enjoying the girls!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We got home this evening at 5:30 from meeting DD and her husband to return their children to them. We had so much fun with them this weekend!

We made hand pies! I traced the 5 year olds hand on paper. I cut it out and we had a pattern. We rolled out pie crust dough and cut out hands. We put hands on a cookie sheet and put a spoon full of raspberry jam in the palm, then topped with another hand. We squeezed red food coloring on a small blob of dough, mashing it up to mix it up good. Then we made fingernails!

15AC94A5-F7EC-47B2-85D5-EDC94E98259D.jpeg

We made some dough squares, filled with raspberry jam, just because it was soooooo much easier. LOL then we rolled out more dough, the girls brushed it with melted butter, then sprinkled cinnamon sugar on it. We rolled it up and they cut it in slices. Yummy!

3AE64C22-B03C-498F-9F5C-B9A1FC1023D0.jpeg

Their teacher at the day care they used to go to is pregnant and having a baby shower in a couple of weeks. DD ordered a present and the girls and I wrapped it up. Then both of them made her cards, laboriously copying letters to get the words right. How do ya like the fancy wrapping paper?

561B4E0D-0804-4989-95B4-FA7339AD4734.jpeg

The 13 year old spent one night, then left to go stay at friends houses. So the 4 and 5 year old helped me pick out a Giant Pink Banana Squash to make a pumpkin pie.

We cut it in half, then cut the half in half, lengthwise. We scooped out the seeds to a chorus of THAT STINKS.

CDF62D98-9AB6-49F7-B2D0-19967AEBC2C4.jpeg

Then I had to peel it. I took a half and cut it in slices. A sharp knife soon removed the rind.

152679EF-DE3D-4385-8D0A-2B65765AF710.jpeg

I cut the slices in chunks and put in a pot to simmer.

8CFF0BEC-FAA7-42CD-B295-5357481C6098.jpeg

The other half I put cut side down in an aluminum pan. I added a little water and covered with foil to hold in the moisture and steam the squash done.

B35DFEA8-5573-4FAE-8355-517D9B058B36.jpeg

Then with some expert help, we scooped out the cooked squash.

0BA3AEF4-152F-4318-98EC-2E0267B38E78.jpeg

Then we measured out a cup of squash and a cup of heavy cream. For the rest we followed Libbey’s pumpkin pie recipe. We poured it into a pie shell, home made pie crust, and baked it. Mmmmm it sure smelled good!

The little girls could hardly wait, but I told them they had to eat supper first. We made pizzas on flour tortillas with my home grown/made pizza sauce, pepperoni and cheese. Our son had come in and our hay guy delivered hay, mentioned that his wife was gone, so we invited him to supper. The grown ups got onions and jalapeños added to their pizzas.

Then the PIE!

It was delicious. Best pie ever.

CFAF8106-2ADD-44F1-A711-B8D1C341A026.jpeg

The only criticism I can offer is that the water added in cooking made the squash purée too goopy. The other half of the squash, I roasted it dry, scooped out the squash and it is in the refrigerator. Haven’t had time to try it. We’ll see how that works and if it is thicker and not goopy.

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
It’s like we are living parallel lives, only you get more done than I do! 🤣

I had two of my grandchildren this weekend too! (Along with their parents.) And we started to make a squash pumpkin pie! Except we used a butternut squash, and I roasted both halves upside down in a pan. And scooped out the cooked squash. I got 4 cups, 2 in the freezer and 2 in the fridge waiting for me to make the rest of the pie. But my 3 yo grandson was occupied with other things, so we never got around to finishing it. They went home today, so I’ll have to make it alone and send him a picture of it.

I love having my grandchildren visit, and I know you do too!