Odd flakes or scales in ears, doesn't look like ear mites

xanthin1

Herd lurker
Reaction score
Hi, I have raised satin meat rabbits for about two years. I have dealt with ear mites before (mineral oil clears these up easy), and have had one rabbit with fur mites a few months ago which I finally got to go away with a pea size of apple flavored ivermectin (DE and 3 rounds of revolution did not work). This is something new I have not seen before. This doe is only about 5 mos old, she was separated from her litter mates about 3 weeks ago. We kept a buck from that litter also and he shows no signs of the same ear problem. The flakes are only in the top of the inside of her ears, although she does have some flakes on the fur on her sides. Could this be fur mites? The buck we had with fur mites a few months ago only had them along his back, not in his ears.
ethel.JPG

Marie28

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Personally I would treat it with mineral oil ASAP. If its just dry skin it should help it too.

I don't have any experience with mites but the breeder we got our blue buck from had an out break and his siblings had it but he didn't. She treated them all just in case. I don't know if its the same, but when our ex-roommate brought home a disgusting (i don't use this word lightly) cat it gave our dogs vicious fleas (the kind that eat human blood too) and one of our dogs go it waaaay worse than the other. I would think that maybe the mites liked one rabbit better than the others?

DutchBunny03

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yeah. Make sure she is drinking enough water, too. Dehydration could worsen the problem.

Latest posts