odd scabs now on 2 rabbits

renegadefarm

Just born
Reaction score
I first found one of these scabs on a ND does head and thought it was from an injury. She then had 2 more so I know thats not it. A week later another ND doe has 3 of them. All the scabs are on their backs. Both are young srs and pregnant, both were bought from the same breeder but at the beginning of the year. They are about 5 cages apart from eachother and no other bunnies have the scabs. Other than being a little less active the does seem normal. I would never have known except I felt them when getting the does out. The scabs are very thick and large, about the size of a quarter but not round shaped. They were only partly attached to the skin, underneath there are bloody marks. I know they are not injuries. The hair is connected on top of the scabs which look almost like they have ridges in them. When I pull one off it doesnt seem to hurt the doe. I have never seen anything like it and hope it doesnt hurt but it looks horrible. I have treated them with the same medicine from the feed store for ear mites and fungus and dont know if it is helping or not. They seem to be healing, there are scars from ones that have healed where hair hasnt grown back and there are white cut looking spots on the skin and the whole area is hard and tough. Please help! I can email pictures if needed. Thanks!

ZCrazychicklady

Just born
Reaction score
could be some kind of parasite. I would treat for that and call a vet. Wash throughly before handling unaffected rabbits so you don't spread it if it is a parasite.
Including your clothes change if you are holding them too.