Official BYH Poll: What Are Your Plans for 2021?

What Are Your Plans for 2021?

• Upgrade Backyard Herd's Housing

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Start a compost pile

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Build New Housing For My Herd

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • Buy New Housing For My Herd

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Invest in New Technology

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Reduce Feed Costs

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • Add a New Breed/s To My Herd

Votes: 13 54.2%
  • Reduce My Herd Number

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Nothing, will keep things as is

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Other (elaborate in the comments section)

Votes: 12 50.0%

• Total voters

BYH Project Manager

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It's hard to believe another year is passing. As the popular old saying goes, “There’s always next year.” Herd management, feed, infrastructure? Identifying areas in need of improvement is always a must in most areas of life. And the same goes when it comes to your backyard herd. As 2020 bids us goodbye, what are your plans for 2021 when it comes to your beloved backyard herd?

2.jpg

Here's another exciting 2021 Resolutions Poll.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have been here 6 years. We have built a 36'x36' barn, finally got the feed and tack room useable. Need to arrange the tack and ORGANIZE it.

We have built a sheep lean to barn, the Pig Palace, fenced whole place. Have chain sawed, machete chopped, bush hogged, cleared, piled and burned.

I have a couple of chicken tractors and a hoop coop. There is a small coop in the garden, need to tear it down. Finally I know where I want a permanent coop, need to build one. Going to add two more cow panels to the hoop coop for a run, then a large 12'x12' coop. Chickens will finally get a permanent home!

Madhouse Pullet

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We have been here 6 years. We have built a 36'x36' barn, finally got the feed and tack room useable. Need to arrange the tack and ORGANIZE it.

We have built a sheep lean to barn, the Pig Palace, fenced whole place. Have chain sawed, machete chopped, bush hogged, cleared, piled and burned.

I have a couple of chicken tractors and a hoop coop. There is a small coop in the garden, need to tear it down. Finally I know where I want a permanent coop, need to build one. Going to add two more cow panels to the hoop coop for a run, then a large 12'x12' coop. Chickens will finally get a permanent home!
You've got lots of plans! :)

Happy New Years @Baymule

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score

Happy New Years @Baymule

Happy New Years @Baymule
Haha, phone too slow, I tapped reply again! I always have lots of plans! I’m happiest when I have more than I can get done. I’ll have to scale it back this year and concentrate on garden, feeder pigs and Cornish cross chickens, and get all that done by late August so I can have knee surgery in September. Then I’ll have the winter for therapy and driving myself crazy for being laid up.

Hideaway Pines

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Haha, phone too slow, I tapped reply again! I always have lots of plans! I’m happiest when I have more than I can get done. I’ll have to scale it back this year and concentrate on garden, feeder pigs and Cornish cross chickens, and get all that done by late August so I can have knee surgery in September. Then I’ll have the winter for therapy and driving myself crazy for being laid up.
I understand needing a long to do list, we are the same way, I hope you don't go nuts after knee surgery. I broke my arm in 2019, was out of commission for about 6 weeks with a cast, that was not fun. I pushed the limit of what I should have done, because I could not stand sitting around.

Madhouse Pullet

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hahaha I kinda figured there was a glitch somehow... we just may be opposites :lol: DH says I overwhelm myself with plans because I want to complete it all. I love the sense of purpose but, when life happens I have a hard time accepting that some things won't get done. Not sure where it came from because I was a filthy lazy child 🙄
The months until September are going to fly by!!

docteurmccoy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Well this past year has been exciting as we've gotten livestock (other than chickens) again since a few year break. So my plans will be doing lots of reading and researching, as I've already been of course. I got some books for Christmas I plan on getting my nose into those. I got Storey's Guide to Raising Sheep, Managing Your Ewe and Her Newborn Lambs, and Holistic Goat Care.

I also plan on getting into photography more, which isn't extremely related except for the fact that I do plan on taking lots of photos of my animals. Other than that, I hope for a peaceful year. In spring I hope for my boer/nubian doe to give birth to what should be twins, and I hope it goes well. The plan is for mainly a shetland sheep flock but I want to give my ewe another year before having her bred. That's about all. Cleaning the barn of course.

Niele da Kine

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The two sheeples could use a little sheep hut of some sort. May as well make something for the chickens as well, although they seem to like roosting in the trees. Fencing for the garden to keep the chickens out of there. Might be nice to build a tea pavilion, too. With passion fruit or a climbing rose over it, we've got a great bluff with an insane ocean view under the big avocado tree, it's a great spot for a tea pavilion. Maybe a new bunny hutch, too. That'll be enough critter containment.

There will most likely be some pretty aggressive bunny breeding this upcoming year. I'd thought we'd had a lot last year, but we barely kept the herd numbers up. There's already a waiting list for more bunnies and they haven't even met yet, let alone had a litter.

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm in the "let's see what comes up" mode. 😁

Somewhere between voluntary and forced retirement. Had thought to stop one of my two part time jobs. Covid stopped one for me. So I may be where I want/need to be :idunno So far it's working ok. Will have the usual Spring rush of work, then slack again. It may be perfect for this year, until things settle out for us to determine what "normal" will become.

Just cruising along now and waiting for goats to kid. I'm ready to get back to milking. Lot of time at home right now. I'm liking it!

Last edited:

Bird_Lover_17

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I am going to get more fencing . I have the premier poultry netting.

Mostly in 2021 I am going to focus on expanding my flocks- getting some ducks, adding more quail (thus adding to my addiction to quail), and ~possibly~ more chickens. I know that's all a BYC thing.

My current pasture gets eaten easily and it would be nice to have a few pastures to rotate between so that I don't need to move all the fencing every week. It's surprising how much 2 dwarf goats eat in a week.