Official BYH Poll: What Are Your Plans for 2021?

What Are Your Plans for 2021?

• Upgrade Backyard Herd's Housing

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Start a compost pile

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Build New Housing For My Herd

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • Buy New Housing For My Herd

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Invest in New Technology

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Reduce Feed Costs

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • Add a New Breed/s To My Herd

Votes: 13 54.2%
  • Reduce My Herd Number

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Nothing, will keep things as is

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Other (elaborate in the comments section)

Votes: 12 50.0%

• Total voters

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Love your coop in the woods. Fans and misters work well for cooling. I like the thermostat timers too. They can also be used on the misters. The best dual use of misters was a fellow that planted raspberries on the side of his rabbitry where the misters would drain onto them. This was before the misters we have now that practically evaporate before hitting the ground. Before I set up a mister system, I used to put a sprinkler on the roof of the rabbit barn. Wasteful of water, but it worked.

Hideaway Pines

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It sounds like you had a great set up with your system. I have not used misters, so far my rabbits have been good - but if we hit excessive heat we might have to resort to that. Would have to look into options if that happened.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Misters are super easy to install. The new ones put out almost no water, barely a fine mist. Depending on how you decide to install them they can goin either PVC pipe with special connectors or in various diameters of hose Use the same piping or hoses as for your automatic waterers.

Hideaway Pines

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
good to know. our humidity is so high here, it seems odd to consider this :D but might look into this

KellyK

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
This year's plans:
  1. Build a bigger chicken coop and run
  2. Build a run and coop for the turkeys
  3. Build run-ins for new critters
  4. Get Dairy Goats
  5. Get a trio of cattle
  6. Finish fencing the end area
I am sure there are things that I am forgetting. There also will be things to add to the list over the next year.

Chiknoodle

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
It's hard to believe another year is passing. As the popular old saying goes, “There’s always next year.” Herd management, feed, infrastructure? Identifying areas in need of improvement is always a must in most areas of life. And the same goes when it comes to your backyard herd. As 2020 bids us goodbye, what are your plans for 2021 when it comes to your beloved backyard herd?

View attachment 80015

Here's another exciting 2021 Resolutions Poll.
Well REALLY need better pens 🤣

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Selling the house, 2 barns, bunkhouse, good well, and 4 good pasture acres in Yelm that the city annexed so no animal keeping! :mad:

Then buying a small ranch in east Texas WITH WATER! Then 2 years of back breaking toil putting up fences for the dogs and sheep before moving there. :celebrate

Latest posts