Official Poll: How do you keep your HERDS cool this summer?

How do you keep your HERDS cool this summer?

• Provide adequate drinking water

Votes: 27 71.1%
  • Adjust their feed

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Make mud where they can wallow

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Provide shelter from the heat and adequate shade

Votes: 31 81.6%
  • Install fans in their housing

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Use sand as bedding

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Perform stressful activities such as moving and handling early in the morning or early evening

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • Others (Please specify)

Votes: 9 23.7%

• Total voters

June2012

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I've always read that sand is a great bedding to cool down animals... How come no one does this? Or am I missing something here??

Reactions: TAH

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Baymule I used it on my chickens. I haven't tried it for goats of sheep.

June2012

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
For your chickens, did you find a significant difference? I like to think it wold keep animals cool, but living close to the beach, the sand is extremely hot to the touch barefoot.

Reactions: TAH

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
We kept it pretty damp and they would lay in it for hours. It also works well for dust baths. I noticed a pretty big difference there egg laying and they were happier in the hotness.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a sprinkler on a timer that comes on for one minute every hour. It just keeps the ground damp and the goats and dogs love it. Also we have a lot of trees for shade. The chickens and ducks have a pond. All the waterers are auto fill as well.

Support

True BYH Addict
Administrator
Reaction score
Great discussion guys! :thumbsup

June2012

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We kept it pretty damp and they would lay in it for hours. It also works well for dust baths. I noticed a pretty big difference there egg laying and they were happier in the hotness.

From sand? Wow! How do you keep it damp? By auto sprinklers or do you mist it here and there a few times a day?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We had a screened in porch added to our home, 12' wide and 54' long. It is so hot, we can't use it during the day even with the 4 ceiling fans going. But the chickens love it! They hide under it during the day like the dogs do. :lol:

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Change the water a bajillion times a day... you know... so we get hot so they don't ;)
Fans
Open up the walls of the barn for more airflow
Adjust diet
Shave our goats down
Put ceramic tiles (the kind for kitchen floors) in the deep freeze and take them out for the bunnies to rest on... also water bottles frozen for the bunnies, and a fan for the bunnies.

Wow. Just realized Bunnies are work. LOL

The dogs go under the walkway and dig into the grit. They stay pretty cool this way.

rude_mare

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I do any stock work like worming or trimming in the evening. Every waterer gets dumped out and scrubbed at noon and topped that evening and the next morning. With the high heat we have been having the water gets scummy fast. The rabbits have a fan and frozen water bottles, the chickens have a fan and big blocks of ice. The pigs have a small wallow the old water gets dumped into - it dries out overnight. The horses and goats have misters. The horses would stand in it all day if I left in on. I have never met a goat that liked getting wet, but I run their mister for a few minutes and turn it off, and they lay down where the dirt gets damp. Everyone has plenty of shade as well.