Official Poll: How do you keep your HERDS cool this summer?

How do you keep your HERDS cool this summer?

• Provide adequate drinking water

Votes: 27 71.1%
  • Adjust their feed

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Make mud where they can wallow

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Provide shelter from the heat and adequate shade

Votes: 31 81.6%
  • Install fans in their housing

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Use sand as bedding

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Perform stressful activities such as moving and handling early in the morning or early evening

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • Others (Please specify)

Votes: 9 23.7%

• Total voters

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Bunnies all get a icebottle in their cages when it's 80 degrees or higher. Also add water checks at noon and 10 pm. (Yes out there 4 times!!)

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
i don't do anything different in july or august from what i do any other time of year. I raise only heat tolerant breeds.

lcertuche

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Living out of town and away from so much concrete/cement is cooler to begin with. My chickens free range so they find cooler places to hang out. They also will stand in a large water dish. I have frozen tomatoes that I give them everyday its hot.

DutchBunny03

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I refill the rabbit's water crocks twice a day, put up a shade barrier, and put frozen water bottles in the hutches for the rabbits to lay next to.

Legamin

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
With sheep there are things that work to cool or warm but it upsets their delicate internal balance. With the fans we installed a misting system. Both systems (along with graduated daylight lighting that rises and lowers in intensity depending on humidity and heat) we set the entire system on wind speed, thermometer and hygrometer sensors (spaced every 12 feet from the last sensor in all directions). This means that if it is very hot but very dry and breezy we may mist but no fans…risk of chill… If hot and humid, fans only and lowered lights for calm and cool. There are thousands of preprogrammed combinations designed to effect the breed need specifically and these change during breeding, season, angle of the sun, time of day etc. etc. on pasture we set up mobile comfort stations with shade screens, fresh water, mist and fan and motion sensor lights that intensify if motion is outside the fence. The changing light alerts the flock and guardian dog to coyote presence and motion sensors trigger the electric perimeter. Less stress is always better and it is different for every breed…

Latest posts