Official Poll: What are the most rewarding parts of having your own herd?

What are the most rewarding parts of having your own herd?

• I use my herd as a way to provide for me and my family

Votes: 45 64.3%
  • They're fun! They are something that I look forward too when I get home

Votes: 50 71.4%
  • To improve my sense of self-sufficiency

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • It's relaxing just to look at them

Votes: 46 65.7%
  • My herd helps to protects me

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I love the companionship

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • They help me stay active

Votes: 40 57.1%
  • They give me a sense of responsibility

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • It's nice to know that I can take care of something other than myself

Votes: 19 27.1%
  • Other (please reply with your other reasons)

Votes: 6 8.6%

• Total voters

Support

True BYH Addict
Administrator
Reaction score
Here on BYH, we often discuss the fun, funny, and sometimes scary moments that we have with our beloved herds. This got us thinking, what's really the most rewarding part of owning herds for the BYH members?

So, come on guys, vote for your answer now. After you vote, reply to this thread with the reason why you voted the way you did.

If your answer isn't listed, please reply and let us know what it is.

Nifty

Herd Master
Administrator
Reaction score
Great poll! Choose all that apply!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Meat, milk, eggs.... knowing where my food is coming from.
Despite the never ending work and the ups/downs they give a great deal. Somedays they are therapeutic, but always there is an appreciation for our herds and flocks, life without them would be boring.

Support

True BYH Addict
Administrator
Reaction score
Providing our own food is really self-fulfilling.

Great answers guys!

Jake

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
For packing while hiking, 2 make a weekend camping much better, they carry so I dont have to as much. And they are fun to have around. Long range is breeding a strain that is bigger and can carry more.

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
X 2 on what Southern posted, except we don't have any milk sheep. Today it is bitterly cold and windy and of course water to sheep and chickens and keeping them clean and warm is exhausting, but taking care of them before ourselves does give a satisfaction and sense of well being that we otherwise would be missing. We're getting older in our years, but our critters remind us we are not so old afterall...LOLOLOL...saving a newborn lamb when the ewe wasn't aware she'd given birth to a second one does much to raise adrenaline and seeing that little one now hopping and running with the rest is the ultimate satisfaction. Come spring, my lawn chair will be out there just enjoying watching them and loving on them and just let the dishes pile up in the sink...waiting for chicks to pip their shells...I could go on and on, but think everyone on here already knows the joys and sorrows of this lifestyle! Wouldn't trade it for huge bags of gold :)

taylorm17

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Meat, milk, eggs.... knowing where my food is coming from.
Despite the never ending work and the ups/downs they give a great deal. Somedays they are therapeutic, but always there is an appreciation for our herds and flocks, life without them would be boring.

Same here. We have dairy goats, market chickens, and egg laying chickens. I feel better eating food I know where it has been and know it has lived a good life! I also use my goats for 4-H showing!