Official Poll: What breed of Livestock Guardian Dog do you prefer?

What breed of Livestock Guardian Dog do you prefer?

• Abruzzese Mastiff

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Akbash Dog

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Anatolian Shepherd Dog

Votes: 18 30.0%
  • Armenian Gampr dog

• Bucovina Shepherd Dog

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Carpathian Shepherd Dog

• Co de Castro Laboreiro

• Caucasian Shepherd Dog (Caucasian Ovcharka)

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • Central Asia Shepherd Dog

• Co de Gado Transmontano

• Co da Serra da Estrela

• Dogo Sardesco

• Great Pyrenees

Votes: 35 58.3%
  • Greek Shepherd Dog

• Others

Votes: 18 30.0%

• Total voters

Support

True BYH Addict
Administrator
Reaction score
Taking care of a herd means feeding them, giving them shelter, keeping them clean, and the most important of them all, protecting them. There are many ways to protect your herd and one popular way to do it is by getting a LGD, or a Livestock Guardian Dog. However, with the countless number of LGD breeds out there, which breed do the BYH members prefer?

Please take a minute to complete this poll and tell us what breed of Livestock Guardian Dog you prefer. After voting, you can reply to this thread and expand on your reason.

If your answer isn't listed, you can vote for "Others" and reply to this thread with your answers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Many listed are not available in the US, some listed have not been utilized as LG for many years and have become more personal protection dog breeds.

The Anatolians, and Great Pyrenees are easily available and their temperaments are excellent for small farm, family farm, little land, all the way up to large territories. Easy adaptability, training, loyal and generally not extremely human aggressive. Pyrenees being more so than the Anatolians as far as human aggression.

The Kuvasz is a wonderful guardian, although not easy to find breeders in the US that utilize them as LGD. Love this breed! Will be my next LGD.:)

The new trend in LGD's is to get something "rare" something "different". :rolleyes: I go back to my first statement...

These dogs are a handful and many new to LGD's foolishly take on dogs they cannot handle.

Last edited:

Bella's Nana

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Aussie
029.JPG

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We're planning on getting an Anatolian pretty soon. I can't imagine an Aussie being a good guard dog due to their herding instinct. Our Aussie is still a pup but well started on herding. A few weeks ago she spent several minutes nipping and barking at a dead deer to make it get up and move.

Having said that OFA has a Border Collie mix (I think) that he's happy with.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
:lol: I still don't have a firm date on when we physically occupy our place (still have to build a shop & barn). My date keeps sliding but the folks that bred our Aussie also has Anatolians so they are working with us.

Latest posts