Official Poll: What breed of Livestock Guardian Dog do you prefer?

What breed of Livestock Guardian Dog do you prefer?

• Abruzzese Mastiff

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Akbash Dog

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Anatolian Shepherd Dog

Votes: 18 30.0%
  • Armenian Gampr dog

• Bucovina Shepherd Dog

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Carpathian Shepherd Dog

• Co de Castro Laboreiro

• Caucasian Shepherd Dog (Caucasian Ovcharka)

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • Central Asia Shepherd Dog

• Co de Gado Transmontano

• Co da Serra da Estrela

• Dogo Sardesco

• Great Pyrenees

Votes: 35 58.3%
  • Greek Shepherd Dog

• Others

Votes: 18 30.0%

• Total voters

Honest Omnivore

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I've been drooling over the Spanish Mastiff. I know I need to find one from working stock and I probably can't afford one, but they remind me of my dear house dog, Mrs. Figg, a Neapolitan Mastiff. Pictured below is our previous Neo mastiff, the poorly named "Hagrid's Opus"
Opus2.jpg

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
Collie.... my girl came from working dogs and the lady has had zero issues with the nasty critters she had issues with before getting them.
IMG_20150214_092610.jpg
and my 1/2 great pyr, 1/4 maremma and 1/4 bernard boy-all 11 of his siblings are AMAZING LGD's... him, not so much. But both parents are amazing at what they do! (yes... he NEEDS his blankie to sleep... go ahead and ask me how I know)
IMG_20150403_220855.jpg

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
He may be better than you think. An LGD should not sleep inside the house at night, which it looks like he may do (his blankie LOL). However the measure of a good LGD is in the number of animals you lose to predators. If you never see the dog work, but all your animals are accounted for, he is doing his job. Our Anatolian stays with the sheep all day and patrols at night. However, once she brings the sheep into the barn at night, she is off duty for a while. She comes inside for some bonding time. After a few hours she asks to go out and starts her patrols. We like the visits, and so does she. If she is on patrol at the end of the acreage, and the house dogs identify a stranger, she is at the spot in under 2 minutes! Great dog! Our Pyrs were great too, but hated being inside and would not come in willingly even in the worst storms. Rika is the best of both worlds. If your dog works for your livestock needs, that is all that is required! The old days of never touching or bonding with your LGD are past, now we know that you should bond with your dog and train him somewhat to make living with him easier. If he is properly bonded to the livestock, bonding to your family will not ruin him.