Oh boy, need llama care instructions FAST PLEASE!

Holachicka

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Well, DH and I were considering getting a guard llama for our goats after we had a dog attack our goats a few months ago. We still hadn't made up our mind, and NORMALLY I'd have done a ton of research before we made a decision. Then my neighbor called yesterday, as I've been feeding his llamas and goats because he is injured. He wants to give me one of his Llamas! He and his wife decided they don't need two, and want to get rid of one NOW.

So, the decision has been made for us. Now I need some general guidlines for care and maintenance. I know they need to be sheared yearly, feet trimed regularly, and I've heard their care is simular to goats. I asked, and my neighbor has not sheared them this year, they've had no shots, or any other treatments. What treatments should I give her immediately? Should I be worried about her passing anything on to my goats?

I'm actually a little nervous! I have experience with horses and goats and other large animals, but I dunno, I guess llamas seem so exotic compared to the things I'm used to. What should I expect? Any tips and information you can give me, I'd REALLY appreciate.

Thank you so much!

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Congratulations on your new llama...but a word of caution...not all llamas will guard....so what you may actually be getting is a pet llama.

Immediate treatments would depend on what the previous owner has done...

Shear at the beginning of your warm / hot season. To me it was recommended to just do a barrel shear every other year and a full body shear the opposite year.

I worm based on fecals just like the rest of my animals.

My llama doesn't like his legs or feet touched at all...so trimming and / or filing can be rather tedious.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Congratulations! If the llama was already in with animals, hopefully there is a good chance that he/she is a guard llama. You will soon find out.

I would worm with Ivomec 1% cattle injectible dosed at 1cc per 70 lbs (at least that is the dosage in my area) and follow up with a second dose 10 days to 2 weeks after. I would also probably worm with Safeguard at 1cc per 10 lbs for 3 days. There really is still time to shear if you can get the llama shorn, at least a barrel cut. I'm willing to shear through August as there is enough growth before winter comes in Ohio. Depending on the fiber will depend on if you do a full shear every year or not. If the llama is a heavy wool llama, then you would want to do a full shear every year. If the llama is a light wooled llama then you can do a barrel cut one year and full the next year. Do you have llama breeders in your area? I would contact them and see what they do with their llamas and maybe even be able to help you with getting the llama shorn.

Holachicka

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks for the help! My neighbor purchased them last year when he was having trouble with coyotes, the person he bought them from are breeders and told him they are guard llamas, plus he hasn't had any cotoye troubles since he bought them. With the Ivomec, would I give it orally like with goats or injection? SQ or IM? When I went by to feed today I started taking a closer look at them, they are shy, but I plan to work on that. Their coats appear very heavy, but luckily we've been having a cool summer, and hopefully it won't get too hot before I can get her sheared. Does anyone have any building plans for that thingy you use to contain them while treating? I think it's called a chute? any other tips on what I might need to build or supply for them? anything I should be looking for in them to show they might need treatments for health problems? I am COMPLETELY new to this, and hate going in somewhat blind! We'll probably be bringing her over this weekend. We'll also be picking up a new load of hay. Is grass hay acceptable for them? boy this feels like such a scramble!

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
You would want to give the Ivomec SQ. You need to inject it in camelids.

Grass hay is fine. I think there are plans for a chute online somewhere. Llamas are very stoic so just knowing your llama well will help indicate if there is a problem. It will be very subtle changes if they are sick or something. Meningeal Worm can be a problem. If you see any back end weakness, you need to talk to a vet. I just go ahead and treat for meningeal worm if I see back end weakness and don't know the reason why. Treatment is a shot of Ivomec and Safeguard dosed at 1cc per 7 lbs for 5 days. Don't panic and worry constantly about it, just be aware.

Holachicka

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Well! We got hotpants this week!

Some things about my new girl: She is registered, 14 years old or something(neighbor will give me the paperwork later) Used to show halter and was used as a pack llama as well.

The thing is, she does not like the lead rope, or to have her halter touched! but once she's on the lead, she's an angel... Hrrrm. Her halter is on at all times, which I'm not comfortable with, but I plan on leaving it on until I can get her familiar with me and able to take off and put on the halter a little easier.

She's warming up to me because I spend a lot of time out there feeding and caring for the goats as well. Plus I give her her grain while I hold the bucket. I try to jiggle her halter every once in a while, to get her used to my hand near her face and to me moving the halter. I've made huge progress in the past few days where she previously wouldn't let me raise my hand at all without jumping out of reach, I was able to jiggle it with her only giving me the stink eye while she continued to eat. Pretty soon I'll work up to carying a lead with me and eventually clipping it on then off. She DEFINATELY associates me with food and treats now, because she trots along the fence following me when I'm getting her grain. :D

My goal is to eventually be able to take the halter off and put it on for feeding time so I won't have huge problems catching her when I need to put her in the (not yet built) chute.

Whatcha think?

currycomb

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
had a free llama once also. he didn't like getting caught or having a halter put on and off. finally wound up roping him, snubbing to a tree and then applying halter. after the halter was on, he was fine. yes i could have left the halter on, but they blister and rub sores, not to mention if he got hung on something. funny thing was, he would follow you anywhere if you had a bucket of feed, as long as no ropes were near.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
That would work. Also feeding her in some type of smaller area like a 6x6 or 9x9 area that you could easily work with her. Then you could probably take the halter off sooner and she would just go into that area if that is where she is fed. Sounds like you are making good progress. Congratulations.