Oh Juliet, Juliet why art thou so mean, Juliet?!

Ariel72

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My new Nigerian, Juliet was the herd queen at her old home. If she twitched, all the other goats scattered in terror. Actually she is not mean unless she is eating. If I touch her when she is eating she gets mad, shakes her head and tries to head butt me. When Juliet did that this morning I thumped her in the shoulder (like another goat butting her) and said no. She looked at me like, "I can't believe you just did that!" I need to be able to handle her when she is eating since she is to be a milker. Am I handling this the best way? Should I give her a squirt of water in the face or hold her on the ground instead? I don't like disciplining her but she has to respect me and the rest of the family.

Ariel72

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Update: This morning when I went to feed Juliet she was sweet as pie. This is the third day she has been at my farm. Yesterday I was able to start to convince her that I am the herd queen but she got so mad that she couldn't ram me with those little horns she attacked and butted the wall repeatedly. Talk about displacement:/. She would walk up and look way up at me like she was sizing me up. Like she was wondering if she could take me or not. I handled it the best way I knew how and tried to end on a good note. Part of me has to admire the guts of such a small animal even considering challenging someone so much larger than themselves. I'm embarressed to admit I was a little intimidated by her, though I didn't back down. She got me at one point and it was like being hit with a sledgehammer. Can't imagine the damage an actual full sized goat could do:(.

I figured I'd have my work cut out for me this morning. Before I went out, I got on here until I felt I had a good handle on goat behavior and body language. I was ready for a serious retraining session and went in there with the attitude I'd do whatever I needed to do, even if it meant putting her on the ground and holding her there (as a last resort). She'd been the boss at her old place for 5 years and I was her last chance. If she was going to stay aggressive to people I'd have to send her to freezer camp. My first goat... what a tragedy if I had to do that. Couldn't believe the change in her this morning. Juliet was like a whole new goat. I'm not sure if it was something I did that made the difference or if she is just settling in now.

Hope that offers some encouragement to other newbies out there. Seems like so much has to do with your attitude and how you carry youself. Goats are smart. You can just see those wheels turning in those little heads.:) Now I'm on top of the world and feel like Juliet and I have some mutual respect started. So rewarding. My plan is to handle her several times a day, while she is eating and otherwise, until I can handle her udder and hooves with no problems. Only problem is, now that she likes me I still have to go give her CDT shot.

terrilhb

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Sounds to me like you did an awesome job. Very good. Keep me updated. Thanks for the info.

Dapplepony

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Ariel72 said:
Only problem is, now that she likes me I still have to go give her CDT shot.
Well, I don't know what to tell you.......

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
Well, now she knows you are in charge and you can give the CD/T shot. Just be firm and matter of fact about it and get it over with quickly. No fooling around. No apologies. Because you are the head goat. Then give your your approval for being a good girl.

hcppam

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Good to hear things are better...sometimes they're little devils.
6006_devilishgoat.gif

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My adults don't mind it at all. Some of the kids act as though you are killing them and some don't make a sound. So ... It depends on the individual.

Latest posts