Ohiogoatgirl's Escapades & Adventures- Pulse check! pg14

ohiogoatgirl

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The ewes are in the new winter area. Partly under roof. I have to get the area next to it finished up for the rams. I'm also going to change up inside the barn. It's still set up for how we ran goats when I was a kid and it just doesn't work very well. And doesn't work for the sheep basically at all for me.
The new area is made up of cattle panels. I have alot of ideas on how it can be upgraded so we'll see what I can do. The pastures need a rest and I've tried to plan it to be as easy to manage as possible. And minimizing mud! The weather so far points to plenty of warm and wet this winter.
Dad got a scoop for the tractor so cleaning out shouldn't be too bad. I can take out the panels and then put them back up.
Another thing about this new area is that I won't be wandering a paddock trying to check ewes. After lambing I'll make final decisions on who is staying.
I am working on how I'll be incorporating a lamb creep. Come weaning time ewes that are staying can go out to the pasture. If there are any great ewe lambs they can go out with the ewes, but I absolutely have to make myself not keep a lamb from a ewe that isn't staying!
Keep ewes- to pasture.
Keep ewe lambs- to pasture.
Cull ewes- feeding pen.
Market lambs- feeding pen.
So the new area will be switched a bit for sections to separate the lambs to wean. The ewes not staying will go on a bit of a finisher diet to try and make them look good for market. The lambs will go on a finisher diet to fatten them up for market.
I need to call the feed co-op on price for the concentrate pellet. That would allow me to buy corn cheaper from a farmer and mix it as needed for the lambs and the ewes. Need to consider the price point though.
Lambing is Feb 18- March 21. 60 days weaning is April 18- May 20. The next ethnic holidays aren't til early and late July which is longer than I want to feed them out. But it seems May is usually still good prices at the auction and they drop sometime in June and after, coming up again in like November or December.
I'm also hoping to talk to an amish man who is a local butcher. I'm taking the pig in after Christmas. Find out if the amish eat lamb much or what their interest might be. If I could sell them directly would be great.
I also want to ask if he'd butcher sheep. They do their own curing and smoking. I was thinking for lambs I could get loins, a couple roasts, and do a bunch of ground. Then if I wanted to take the cull ewes I could get a bunch of ground done and meat stick and sausages. I don't even know if anything specific would be really good smoked. And I could get the hides to tan.
We got two deer and I'm cleaning the hides. I got that orange bottle solution stuff to try. I'd really love to have sheep skins from my animals. And they'd probably be really cool, shorn in January so they'd have 4 to 5 months of wool on. I could also send them to be tanned but I'd prefer if I could do it myself. The place I've heard the best feedback about brushes out the wool and only brushed out. I like the locks.

ohiogoatgirl

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'm just not consistent about posting here yall.. haha..

The pig got butchered right after Christmas. Very tasty. I wish feed wasn't so darn expensive because I'd love to do pigs again.

I ended up putting breeding groups together a bit earlier. Lambing as follows...

*1/27- abortion 72??? Blk ram lamb. Very small, about 3#. 3wks before first possible due date. No idea cause. Acts normal.

*2/11- no udder 74, 79, 228, 229. Small udder 185, 89, 230, 231. Big udder kitty, 184, 80, 84.

* 2/17- look closest: 80, kitty, 184

*2/18 11:30pm- kitty good mom, big udder, cleared teats. Look very Cheviot.
R 6.4 tag44
E 6.45 tag45

*2/19 7:45am- 231 good mom. small but nice udder.
E 5 tag46

*2/19 3:45pm- 185 good mom, big udder.
E 8 tag47

*2/22 3:20pm- 80 good mom. Udder is to the back, teats quite forward, nice milkable teats.
E 7.36 tag48

*2/27 11:50pm- 184 caught pacing on cam. Watched a while, feet and nose presenting, no progress. Lamb legs and discharge orange-y. Assisted just to pass head and shoulders. Big lamb. Nice big udder, very milk-able.
E 14 tag49

*3/7 6pm- 230 good mom. Small very round udder, like a ball.
E 7.6 tag50

*3/15 noon- 84, came out to standing and clean lambs. Good mom. Nice big milkable udder. Lambs look shetland-y assuming 88 is sire.
E 6 tag51 dark moorit
E 5.5 tag52

4/9 10:30am- 228 good mom.
R 5.2 tag53 black, white face, eye patch

4/10 2pm- 79 good mom.
E 7.9 tag54

I found a really nice and inexpensive camera that works off wifi via someone I follow on IG. It works really great! Wyze indoor and outdoor cam. It was absolutely indispensable!!! The cord is the same as a phone charger cord with a USB end. So dad wired up a car charger that I clip to a battery and plug in the camera. Easypeasy! Just had to remember to switch out a charged battery every few days.

Those last two to lamb were definitely sired by 88, the horned ram. I was so irritated with myself! After I separated the rams he broke through a spot in the fence and I didn't mark the day!!! So I knew about a week after due dates ended I'd have to watch again for whatever he got that day. More than that I was mad that some ewes didn't take or must have absorbed early on if they did get bred.
Plus Mary and Ayrshire were in with the ewe lambs to not be bred. Because they had poorer body condition and I was planning to sell them. I ended up selling Mary to be butchered and she had been bred that day the ram escaped. Luckily the person understood and it wasn't a big deal. It's for the better because she would not have done well lambing again. Then I did sell Ayrshire on with two others as pets and she did lamb! Twins! Ugh I could have spit fire. And of course they are healthy and doing fine. I'm glad for that at least since they are pets there. She couldn't keep up in my system. It's just so irritating she bred and twinned the year I excluded her and didn't breed her and sold her....

Last month I sold two of last year's ewe lambs that I'd still had that I didn't like. I made a list of everyone to be sold and sold them the next day.
I had all the rest sold too then the person ghosted me the day they were supposed to come get them. It's so annoying! Why waste both our time?! Then I got back to multiple people who I had told I'd let them know on that day if they were still available... no one responded... Bleh.. This is why I'm not a people person...

ohiogoatgirl

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Ok current sheep...

--Kitty- shet/fitz.. twinned
--184- shet-cormo/b ch
--185- shet/b ch
--72- lizzy/007 wh <sell> aborted
×74- kitty/B blk <sell> didn't lamb
--79- 99/007 wh
--80- kat76/007 kat
--84- midget/007 blk.. twinned
×89- mary/007 wh <sell> didn't lamb
--228- light kat <sell> 75/25
×229- wh <sell> 75/25
--230- blk <sell>75/25
--231- wh <sell> 75/25
95- 185/Chonk wh
269- 75% shet/25% b.ch, wh, very fine

44 R- kitty.. sell
45 E- kitty.. holding for person
46 E- 231.. sell
47 E- 185 <keep>
48 E- 80.. holding for person
49 E- 184 <keep>
50 E- 230.. sell
51 E- 84 <keep>
52 E- 84 <keep>
53 R- 228.. sell
54 E- 79.. holding for person

The one's I'm holding for the person is til the youngest is ready to wean. It was set up when the whole list of 'to sell' were supposed to be picked up in a couple days then the person ghosted.. But I'm going to show the others to them and maybe they'll be interested in more than just the three.
I had another person lined up for lambs that had stuff come up with their pasture fence work and they had to back out of it. Totally understandable, it's so much nicer when people just let you know!

I relisted the sell one's again and no luck. So I'm working out when to take them to the auction.
72, 74, 89, 228, 229, 230, 231, 88.

That leaves me with..
Ram- Chonk
Proven ewes- 184, 185, kitty, 79, 80, 84
First time ewes- 95, 269
Ewe lambs- 47, 49, 51, 52

ohiogoatgirl

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Chickens..
I just had a complete flop of a hatch unfortunately. I think it's multiple reasons going into it but I'm working to fix it. The freedom ranger hens are going to be butchered as soon as I can get a day for it. They are terrible egg eaters and the white hen is now too. It'll leave me with 7 brahmas and 1 NH for hens, and the NH roo. The Bielefelder roo developed an attitude problem and has been in the big cage. Not ideal but he can't attack me that way. As much as I wanted to use him for breeding to make auto sexing chickens it isn't worth the hassle. He'll probably also go to the stew pot.
In March I hatched 22 chicks. I had moved them out in the salatin style ground pen but lost 4 one night to either mink or rats. So they're back inside, down to 18. The flop hatch only resulted in 4 chicks which are brooding in a simple tote setup.
I'll be turning the ground pen into a brooder hutch. Going to buy wire for the bottom. It's a darn heavy thing so it'll be fine as a hutch.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm just not consistent about posting here yall..
We hadn't noticed any inconsistency
(well we did but it would be rude to point it out)

Sorry about the egg eaters. I have one now, she's in solitary. She can now eat only whatever she lays. At least yours are meat birds and will meet the same end whether they are problems or not.

Latest posts