1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hoof trimming help - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Ohiogoatgirl's Escapades & Adventures- Shearing, Check! Lamb watch, Onward!

Discussion in 'Member's "BackYardHerds" Journals' started by ohiogoatgirl, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Mar 8, 2019
    ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl True BYH Addict

Pigpig. Looking a little round but nothing like last year. Expecting another single. Ewe would be nice because I like her wool and build but would like to replace her with daughters. One, because she is getting older. Two, because I'm more likely to get daughters from her that will twin and she always throws singles.

mini 1.png mini 2.png

2. Mar 8, 2019
    ohiogoatgirl

Pigpig is the tall ewe. The short ewe is one of the shetland ewe lambs. 9 is the only one who looks possibly bred. She is the biggest so I guess if any of them are it's better to be her. Crossing my fingers though. I can't tell quite if there is udder change or not. She is a wary one. mini 3.png

The moorit katmogets are shetland ewes. They look round and I think maybe 2 of the 3 could have twins.
    On the left is Caroline, one of the ewe lambs born here last year. She has definite belly and some of the most udder change of the ewe lambs.
    mini 4.png

One of the black katmoget shetland ewes. She is still in that kind of "paunchy" stage. One of the bigger bellies, possibly twins.
    mini 5.png

Caroline's back end. REALLY loving how nice her teats look to be placed and the length! I'm going to keep notes on udder depth, teat length and placement, etc. They are pretty heritable and if I end up milking a few I'll already be selecting towards good udders. Midget is her mom and I'm really happy with how her udder looks so far. Real nice depth.
    She was with the shetland ram lamb and It'll be really interesting to see the outcome. Caroline has a very similar body shape to her mom, so even though she's 50% mutt 25% cormo 25% shetland, she has a shape very much like shetland and Icelandic.
    mini 6.png

3. Mar 10, 2019
    ohiogoatgirl

I found a free editor that actually works decent and doesn't watermark the video. I took some video and put together the interesting parts!

Today I was out for a while putting out a new bale etc. I noticed that it seems like the ewes either have longer round teats or short wide almost cone shaped teats. Caroline and Midget being the longer teats, better for hand milking.

I also noticed that Mary and Ayr have the biggest udders of the ewe lambs right now. I'm going to tentatively guess they'll be among the earlier to lamb.. then Caroline maybe..

And just about everyone's back end is getting more puffy and.. well eye catching :idunno:pop

Mike CHS and Bruce like this.
  4. Mar 10, 2019
    Bruce

Bruce Herd Master

Lotta nice sheep there for a goat girl ;)

ohiogoatgirl likes this.
  5. Jun 3, 2019
    ohiogoatgirl

Everything has been crazy. I feel like that's how all of my posts start.. But that's life I suppose..

Lambing round up...
    21 lambs born, 19 live. First was the DOA that I think came backwards and didn't get out quick enough so drowned. The last was Minnie Pearl's ram lamb that decided to jump in the water trough overnight. I rigged up some scrap fence around it so they have to stick their heads in and cannot fall in now. Odd though that the ones lost were the very first and very last born.

Preparing for weaning!
    Holy Toledo, I feel like I just got ready for lambing and now it's already weaning! The lambs are growing well. I am seeing who is small framed and throwing identically small framed lambs. Possibly 3 ewes will be up for sale: Pigpig, Lizzy, Lydia. Pigpig would be great if she didn't always single and didn't have an attitude. Now I have two daughters and a granddaughter to replace her, fingers crossed Mary proves herself and throws twins next spring! Their wool is lovely.
    Lizzy and Lydia are ewes born here last year. Lovely fleeces but they are just lanky things and aren't filling out. Their lambs are also dainty. Even considering they were bred to the shetland ram, I've decided I'd rather cull them and keep the better bodied ewe lambs.

I will have 5 (possibly 7) ewe lambs and 7 ram lambs to sell.
    I've got 4 ewe lambs I'll be keeping, and 2 to consider. The 'consider' ones are the twin ewes from Midget. They are quite 'dog coated' right now and I am as sure as I can be that she was bred by Bingley, her son. On one hand: +twins, +good sized, +fleeces will be similar I could process together. On the other hand: -dog coated and probably turn dual coated and med-coarse like midget which isn't the wool I'm working toward overall.
    Then of course one of the ram lambs is looking real nice... So I'm going to hold him back. Dam is 185 (shetland/border cheviot) and sire is Bingley (mutt/shetland/cormo). His only fault is he's a black katmoget! And I'm going to quickly run into too many katmogets if I'm not careful.

It's been a heck of a year so far. Unless I work out a trade with another sheep person not terribly far from me for a ram lamb.. I'll be working out groups with Spot, Bingley, and 19 the ram lamb. I'm sketching out the timeline of things that need doing through next year. Hoping to have things sorted out work wise and when things will need bought wise.

Bruce likes this.
  6. Jun 4, 2019
    Bruce

Bruce Herd Master

Busy Busy! How is the ground there, flooded like other areas or were you spared?

7. Jun 4, 2019
    ohiogoatgirl

We had some storms and rain but not flood level in the local area.

8. Jun 17, 2019
    ohiogoatgirl

Lambs are weaned and in new paddock, and ewes are in new paddock. I managed to get the lambs all weighed as well! Huzzah, just in time for a solid week of rain... So I have ADGs to look at now.

I'm going to cull 3 ewes and the wether.
    And keep 7 ewe lambs, possibly 1 ram lamb. There is one more ewe that I could have considered keeping but she is one of those wild eyed crazy ones, and I have someone wanting 3 or 4 ewe lambs.. And this leaves me 4 ewe lambs for him to look at. I'm going to have him look at the 'cull' ewes as well and hope he is interested. He is into the wool only from what I know at the moment, and these ewes would still be real nice, just not the best of my flock for what I'm doing.

ADGs...
    1 ram lamb hit .5#
    4 lambs hit .4#
    9 lambs hit .3#
    4 lambs hit .2#
    1 lamb was under 1#
    The smallest two are a set of ram twins that the ewe was not that big, smaller birth weights, and in hindsight they'd have grown better if I pulled one and left her one. I had a small bag of milk replacer and was giving them a bottle in the mornings until it ran out, to give them a boost. She just didn't have the milk for twins. She is in the list of cull ewes.
    Total 19 lambs, group avg .337#

That one lamb hit .5# was really exciting for me since alot of these lambs are 60s% and 80s% shetland crosses. However of the two ram lambs I was looking at as keeper considerations, he and the next biggest, I decided on the other lamb who was the third best gaining lamb at .438#. The lambs look near identical standing together. Both look well put together and have real nice fleece. Both sired by Bingley, my cross ram I retained last year, 25% shetland 25% cormo, 50% mutt.
    The .5# one's dam is a 3-6y/o, shetland ewe. Single lamb. The .438# one's dam is a 1y/o, bred as a ewe lamb, half shetland half border cheviot. Single lamb.
    The pure shetland ewes I just got in the fall so I don't have lambing history on them. But my gut says 'ehh why is a proven ewe single lambing' and I won't want a ram from a ewe who always single lambs. My gut also says, 'hey look how great the first time ewe raised this ram lamb, and she should go on to twin next year, and this ram lamb is 25% border cheviot to add frame to his lambs'.
    The ewe lambs are the top 7 ADGs of the ewe lambs. 3 are .4#s and 4 are .3#s ADGs.

I had 4 sets of twins: EE, RR, RE, RR. And of course the RE twins are the crazy ones and I'm not keeping that ewe. I was curious the total lamb weight that those ewes weaned, respectively: 67.7#, 50#, 53.4#, 29.3#. So the EE twins were terrific, that ewe twinned last year and singled her first time, and the ADGs are .414# & .409#. The last set of twins are the ones I supplemented and the ewe on the cull list.
    From the adjusted weaning weights (60 day) I did a performance ratio. The lambs I'm retaining are all the best ones as well. From +3 to +45!

Then I pulled up fleece weights from the spring and did a performance ratio as well. Avg fleece weight 3.1#. Heaviest fleece 5.6#, lightest fleece 1.3#. Of course the pure shetlands that are fine and first shearing, scored big negatives. The biggest positives were one of the mutt ewes and several of the sheep born last year that I retained. With keeping the best lambs I'm really curious to see how this compares next year.

Bruce likes this.