Ok.....I am so tired of posting on this part of the forum!!!!

chickenzoo

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Sephira again...... I started shearing them with my clippers....shear master with llama blade and goat comb. All was going good till I got to her....Got her almost done...was doing her back flank and she kicked at me....that quick the comb hit her in the leg....gaskin muscle area......blood every where...I could see a metallic white skin sticking out the hole some....ugh. Finally got bleeding under control....got hold of vet by phone hour later as it was now about 8 o'clock at night. Could have licked a tendon....which he couldn't sew if I did...have.to take her to university.for a few grand surgery. Vet said scar tissue could grow back together.... She can stand on it.....she can stand on it and.pock up her other foot to scratch her front leg.....but when she goes to walk forward she knuckles over. She will then pick it up and put it in proper position...... Don't know if its just really sore.or if I did hit something......don't even know how it happened......can't win for losing.....I guess I just needed to vent. She is bandaged up and on antibiotics..... I guess its now just wait an see...

bcnewe2

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If her walking gets better I'd keep it clean and let it heal. That would be a very expensive llama for fiber if that's all she is used for. I can't exactly tell where you nicked her from your post.

Sometimes ya just have one of those days and it turns into a months Maybe it'll be your turn for some good luck now!

chickenzoo

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
She is just a very big pet....who is normally very willing. It nicked her in the front of the gaskin muscle between the knee and hock. ....which vet said is much better than any lower down. she was very sore this morning...which I expected....after a shot of banimine she seems better.....hopefully it keeps improving. I think I'm the only one who could kill their llama with a pair of clippers...sigh.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I would keep her on the Banamine for 3 days in a row. That will help with any inflammation. I bet she will be fine for you. They can be buggers.

chickenzoo

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thanks guys........I'm seriously thinking of changing my screen name to ibescrewed. .......lol. she seems to be walking better and having more control of how she places it. I have her and the baby in a pen in their pasture to limit movement but still let her feel she's with the herd.....She is her same old self otherwise.....eating..drinking...pooping. ..nursing the baby.....spitting at me when I give her a shot.....Hehe. I'm just emotionly tired...... I did shear the rest of the gals......boys tomorrow.

chickenzoo

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
She's seemingly a bit better today....she used.that foot to scratch her shoulder etc....so she must have control of it better....not seen to much suckling over today....

BHOBCFarms

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
On a related note, do you have to use shears for llamas, or can you use good clippers, like the ones made by Premier? I am thinking about clippers for clean up on the faces, around the ears of my ewes, I have one babydoll cross and I can't see myself using shears on her face.

Latest posts