ok "Sheeple" Dec 26 UPDATE,PIC

justusnak

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I got a call from a woman this morning....she has 2 Kahtadin Ewes....3 yrs old...and preggers. She does not want them, and since she knows I do rescue, I told her to bring them over.
So....she brings them over, in a back of a minivan...with collars...on leashes. :/ This is how these sheep have been living the last few months.....tied up to a tree. :rolleyes: So, anyways....I have Shetland Sheep, and mine are just starting to breed. So, I am not expecting babies any time soon...however....one of the Ewes she brought over....is bagged out, pretty good. The bag is not tight...but pretty good sized. She said she has had them for 2 or 3 months...and was told they were bred when she got them. I have them resting together in a stall right now...she brought them after dark, and I didint want them exposed to the LGD right away. They have never been with a dog. So, signs that they will be lambing soon? Bagged...no hollowing at the tail yet, and when I put hay in for them, the attacked it right away. Help!

big brown horse

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Good for ewe to take in those mama sheeples! I wish you were closer to me, I would help. Lemme look in my Storey's guide to Raising Sheep. I doubt there will be much useful info as it just touches the surface and all.

BRB!

justusnak

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
BBH, thanks so much! I am really nervous...for one I have no idea when they are due, and I have no idea the nutrition they had...or lacked! I know they seemed pretty hungry. :/

big brown horse

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Well my book was of no use, sorry. I do have a section on what to feed them while they are preggers...but I am sure you already know about all that.

I have sheep, but never had a pregnant one so I am of no help. :idunno Sorry.

I'm sure they will be fine now that they are in your care.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Are they like goats, in that the ligaments near the tail head soften so much that they seem to disappear within 12 hours of delivery? If so, start feeling along those spines near the tail, and know what they feel like. On a goat, it is like two pencils running diagonally out from the spine near the tail.

But what do I know.....I'm still trying to figure out my goats! :p

justusnak

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Well my book was of no use, sorry. I do have a section on what to feed them while they are preggers...but I am sure you already know about all that.

I have sheep, but never had a pregnant one so I am of no help. :idunno Sorry.

I'm sure they will be fine now that they are in your care.
Feed them?? Different than normal?? :th

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just, I would leave them in your lambing jug for now and it is recommended by most folks to flush~feed extra protein/nutrition~at lambing.

Do they appear to be normally fleshed out? In reasonably good health? If so, I would just feed hay for now and supplemental feed after lambing to help replace nutrients lost in the labor and the subsequent nursing of lambs.

If they were mine, I'd throw some UP ACV in their gullets for good measure! ;)

justusnak

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks BEe, I was thinking the ACV might be a good thing as well. I am going tomorrow tho, to the vet, to get some Panacure to worm them. Its the only safe wormer while they are preggers..and she said she had no idea when they were wormed last. I just dont want to lose them to parasites after lambing....( whenever that might be) LOLThey are so pretty...one is all white, the other is white with brown spots, but a black face. I will try to get pics tomorrow!

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
My sis asked me last night when was the last time I wormed my sheep, as she finally broke down and bought the ivermectin (big bucks) and will be worming her sheep every month. She has mixed wooly breeds.

I had to admit that I've never "wormed" them in a traditional manner since I have had them. They were wormed by the breeder at 4 months and they are now 10 mo. old.

I have used the Shaklees soap a couple of times and will soon start giving them UP/ACV with liquid garlic and a little Shaklees thrown in for a winter pick me up~not that they appear to need it but I just want to try it! :D

They are going into the winter and breeding season nice and roly-poly on fall fescue. :)

justusnak

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I was able to get a dear frined and her hubby to come out this morning and truim thier poor hooves. Oh, they were so bad! The white ewe will need several trimmings to get them back into shape. They were curling up!
Here are the girls...no names yet...but sweet as butter!!

22_new_sheep.jpg

Latest posts