ok "Sheeple" Dec 26 UPDATE,PIC

justusnak

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Wow, now that is great!! Can be used on dogs and pigs as well. Hmmmm. It IS a little pricey...but I can see where it would be worth it....for big time breeders. I guess for me...I will have to play the "hit and miss game" :lol:

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
If these were my ewes, I would begin to feed them some grain right away. Some ewes that are carrying multiple births develop what is called "pregnancy disease". These ewes get very weak and usually die just before lambing. The reason for this is that their digestive system is so cramped with the extra space that the lambs are taking up (and the extra energy the lambs are sapping from the ewe), that they cannot eat enough hay to keep up their strength. By feeding high energy grain, you will allow them to keep up their energy intake, even with their diminished digestive space. High energy is more important to prevent this than a high protein content, so corn is the preferred grain. 2 - 3 lbs per head per day is usually sufficient.

justusnak

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
jhm.....I feed them grain every day. For the 6 sheep..they get 2 1/2 3 pound coffee cans full every morning. They get all stock...it has corn and other grains.....and mollasses. They are of good weight.... i think. :)

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
That's great. Pregnancy disease is very demoralizing. When my children had a small flock of registered Columbia sheep, we had a couple of our best ewes die from it. We found out about it from an old guy who had raised sheep for many years. He sorted out the ewes that looked the biggest, and gave them grain to prevent them from getting it. Worked for him, and also for us. Good luck with your new sheep flock. You might be surprised how fast you wind up with a sizeable flock of sheep.