Old metal silo for compost

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So I've a few old, small, metal silos on the property for various uses and one of them I use for compost. I thought this would be a great use for it and I'd have lots of compost so I began putting my old hay, sheep bedding, used food,(... Banana peels, rotten food etc.... Sorry felt I had to be a bit more specific for than one) in there.

I thought it would be great but after 4 yesterday... It really hasn't composted at all. It's still just lying in there.

I've got a black plastic lining around the side so that the moisture tries to stay in a bit better and the sides don't rust.

I've tried putting worms in there too but I guess that doesn't work well when there isn't any rain and it's a concrete base.

I turn it each year as well.

What can I do to get this to work out for me or is this just not feasible?

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
So I've a few old, small, metal silos on the property for various uses and one of them I use for compost. I thought this would be a great use for it and I'd have lots of compost so I began putting my old hay, sheep bedding, used food,(... Banana peels, rotten food etc.... Sorry felt I had to be a bit more specific for than one) in there.

I thought it would be great but after 4 yesterday... It really hasn't composted at all. It's still just lying in there.

I've got a black plastic lining around the side so that the moisture tries to stay in a bit better and the sides don't rust.

I've tried putting worms in there too but I guess that doesn't work well when there isn't any rain and it's a concrete base.

I turn it each year as well.

What can I do to get this to work out for me or is this just not feasible?
people really find everything as a good compost nowadays.. well... if it works it really works. :D:D:D

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get this one too really work. It doesn't seem like anything is composting but instead it's like I have a time capsule of waste.

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Do you have your manure pile outside or inclosed? Looking at it I was wondering if the silo itself was the problem. The silo is an old metal grain silo so it has holes perforated all through out in order to diffuse the air and keep the moisture + humidity out. With no humidity, no water, no sun I wander if I'm fighting a losing battle.