*Old post* Goat kid with cloudy eye and pneumonia *Updated pictures*

StarSpangledNubians

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
@StarSpangledNubians Did the vet say what caused his eye to look like that? I have a 3 day old pygmy buckling and his eye looks just like that. He has no other problems.
It was normal pink eye or pink eye connected to chlamydia/mycoplasma. We didnt test so not sure which one. I think the doe had mycoplasma though. I don't remember everything that was said though. If my memory serves me correct. The vet suspected the doe had chlamydia/mycoplasma/or didnt clean him (she had a broken leg) and the other 2 died and somehow he managed to make it the night. He inhaled some amniotic fluid and got dirt, hay, or whatever was outside in his eye. He was full of bad bacteria. Causing pink eye and pneumonia. We are pretty sure it was the penicillin that treated it (however if you are gonna try I would use oxytetracycline) Pretty late and thought I would respond before bed so please ignore any spelling errors, lol. Here is a great link with some basic info about eye problems https://countrysidenetwork.com/daily/livestock/goats/eye-infections-in-goats/ Hope you can figure out what is wrong with him and get him feeling/seeing better!

MiniSilkys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
His mama had him outside in 35 degrees and he was muddy and almost dead when I found him. His twin sister was 50 feet away and screaming. Mama wanted nothing to do with them. She only nurses the girl when I hold her. She wants them to lay in the corner and not move otherwise she will be mean to them. I threw her out today. She doesn't want them near her anyway. Today, around his eye is a little swollen. I think she hit him. Sister is as healthy as can be. This was their mamas second kidding.