Old Pregnant Cow Needs Help!

neener92

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We have an old cow that is pregnant, not sure of her due date, or her age....just know she's pregnant and old. Anyway, today I was checking the cows and noticed she was having trouble walking, it's like her back pasterns are knuckling over? Anybody have any idea what could be wrong?! Other than that she's eating drinking but seems to be standing around more than normal.

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh dear...hope she's okay! Since you don't know how old she is, hard to say if she is wearing out? How pregnant and heavy is she? Maybe after she calves that will take care of itself? No idea, but people with cattle should give you advice.

Grew up on a cattle farm and I don't remember seeing this...and some of our breeding cows were on the old side :hu

Cricket

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Is it getting gradually worse? Like Bon suggested, the extra weight on arthritic joints can be tough on old cows. If it seems to be a sudden onset thing, if she's walking like she's a little drunk, if her ears are cold, if she's maybe grinding her teeth, watch out for milk fever.

she-earl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We have dairy cows and when they buckle at their back "ankles" it generally from a back problem. It involves a nerve being injured, pinched, etc. Possibly a steroid injection will help. I haven't seen it just from pregnancy so can't say it is or isn't from that. Do you have a vet you can call and get some input or steroid from?

Cricket

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
That sounds more like it! (We've had such a run on old cows and milk fever in the last month that that's all I see:hide)