Older doe with probable uterine cancer

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
I suppose if she is carrying the uterine cancer gene and 85 percent of female unspayed rabbits eventually get it, it is a good thing I did not produce offspring from her. Cremes are a rare breed, I should breed for health and not because she was/is technically beautiful and the right "type". The right type should always be healthy, although when an animal develops a disease later in life it makes it hard to know if they carry this kind of thing.

This doe has never been a big eater, according to the prior owner. I noted she did not eat well right when I bought her. I added oats to her diet and she gained, so we tried breeding her after that. She always likes to leave a little food in her bowl so I've been keeping it filled for her to have free choice since she does not overeat like the others would. She has always been that way. However prior owner said her entire life she was like that, wanting to leave a little in her bowl. She said she thought she was like that because as a baby, the person who had her originally raised her on grass-only. I guess maybe they had a rabbit tractor? That wasn't who I bought her from, but she has always preferred fresh foods and I have made sure she had fresh greens instead of hay to tempt her appetite because that is what she likes.

Are there any other signs of pain in a rabbit? She has had this issue for awhile, I have reason to believe it could be in the later stages if it is indeed cancer, she has gone through four breedings without conceiving, and has had this discharge now for several months (at least two), possibly longer, as I was trimming her nails when I noticed it and the nails were a bit long.
I've read that fatty tissue around the fallopian tubes will stop a doe from conceiving. Maybe the tumor is there stopping conception? And I think how a kit is introduced to "solids" will affect how they eat. IMHO, pellets are needed, with all the nutrients needed. Not in HUGE quantities, but to compliment the greens and fruits that are also very nutritional for rabbits. And I've also read here, that some rabbits don't show illness, eating, pooping, active normally, and then it's shows fast.

IMHO, you will never know if a "bad" gene will surface, but if you find a doe that you possibly knows carries it, I think it's the responsible thing not to breed her.

M.R. Lops

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Ok, so I got out my big stack of rabbit books. It says in one of them that 85% of unspayed females develop uterine cancer by the age of 5yrs.
I have an old pet rabbit who I believe has never been fixed, she had many homes before me so the people I got her from didn't know any information on her, except that she is a female. They always kept her away from their male rabbit, so I'm guessing she's not fixed. We are guessing she is around 7-8yrs. old by now. I've had her over 4yrs, and the people I got her form had her a couple years and they got her from some one else. I actually thought she could have uterine cancer, but I've never been sure. She seems fine now, but a few months ago I noticed she had dark red urine or possibly blood in her litter box. I know rabbits sometimes have odd colored urine including red, but it looked more darker to me, so I never knew for sure if it was just urine or if it was blood. But, haven't noticed it as much, but her urine is still the dark red. It wasn't always like that, and I've talked to some rabbit breeders and they weren't positive on what it was, but I think that she may have uterine cancer, not positive though. I may never know for sure, but what I do know is that my pet rabbit is old, and who knows how many more years, months, or days I have left with her.
If your doe is 6, she is pretty old for breeding. Most breeders would stop breeding a rabbit at 4-5yrs. old, if not sooner.
Warning signs that could mean your rabbit is ill are swellings in the genital region; dirty, wet fur; wounds or signs of bleeding; foul smells from the back end; or blood mixed with urine. It says that urine cancer can lead to premature death and to watch out for drops of blood in the urine; a pot-bellied appearance; or general loss in condition. If there are swellings, then it could by a sign of myxomatosis, conjunctivitis, or syphilis.
If she's never been bred before then she wouldn't have syphilis, if its red and swollen, and she has been bred, then its possible that she could have that. Signs of syphilis are sore vent and failure to breed.
Another possibility is urinary incontinence, which is where the rabbit would drip urine without knowing it and get urine scald. Signs are dripping urine and urine scald.
Another possibility that is caused by uterine cancer is uterine adenocarcinoma. Signs are vaginal bleeding, cystic mammary glands, and aggression.
Hope this helps

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
M.R. Lops said:
Ok, so I got out my big stack of rabbit books. It says in one of them that 85% of unspayed females develop uterine cancer by the age of 5yrs.
I have an old pet rabbit who I believe has never been fixed, she had many homes before me so the people I got her from didn't know any information on her, except that she is a female. They always kept her away from their male rabbit, so I'm guessing she's not fixed. We are guessing she is around 7-8yrs. old by now. I've had her over 4yrs, and the people I got her form had her a couple years and they got her from some one else. I actually thought she could have uterine cancer, but I've never been sure. She seems fine now, but a few months ago I noticed she had dark red urine or possibly blood in her litter box. I know rabbits sometimes have odd colored urine including red, but it looked more darker to me, so I never knew for sure if it was just urine or if it was blood. But, haven't noticed it as much, but her urine is still the dark red. It wasn't always like that, and I've talked to some rabbit breeders and they weren't positive on what it was, but I think that she may have uterine cancer, not positive though. I may never know for sure, but what I do know is that my pet rabbit is old, and who knows how many more years, months, or days I have left with her.
If your doe is 6, she is pretty old for breeding. Most breeders would stop breeding a rabbit at 4-5yrs. old, if not sooner.
Warning signs that could mean your rabbit is ill are swellings in the genital region; dirty, wet fur; wounds or signs of bleeding; foul smells from the back end; or blood mixed with urine. It says that urine cancer can lead to premature death and to watch out for drops of blood in the urine; a pot-bellied appearance; or general loss in condition. If there are swellings, then it could by a sign of myxomatosis, conjunctivitis, or syphilis.
If she's never been bred before then she wouldn't have syphilis, if its red and swollen, and she has been bred, then its possible that she could have that. Signs of syphilis are sore vent and failure to breed.
Another possibility is urinary incontinence, which is where the rabbit would drip urine without knowing it and get urine scald. Signs are dripping urine and urine scald.
Another possibility that is caused by uterine cancer is uterine adenocarcinoma. Signs are vaginal bleeding, cystic mammary glands, and aggression.
Hope this helps
You got a stack of books? Me too. But you have been through the breeding process and I appreciate the input. I thought it would be too old at 4-5 yrs old too. I'm under the impression that a true breeder would stop at 10 litters, starting a doe at 6 months? in 2 year span? Any litters after it are, how should I put this, not up to par. It also, I believe puts due stress on a doe after a certain age. As a successful breeder, what is your plans? I would appreciate the input.

savingdogs

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thank you for getting out your rabbit books. She urinates in the corner and the cage is low so I have never observed the color of her urine, I will have to note that. She does not show a general loss of condition. She HAD been bred prior, in fact, my male that has been my buck is her SON. All my rabbits are related to her except a pair of siblings, the female of which I have been breeding to the aforementioned son. And looking at her paperwork, she is five, not six. sorry. But she had kindled not that long prior to being sold to me if I remember correctly. I was hoping to get a female from her to use as a breeder since I've been selling them more as pets rather than for meat, I was hoping to raise correct Cremes.

I have a young doe that is on her second litter, she really enjoyed the whole process and so I bred her again after the kits were taken from her. Is that too soon? Did your book say anything about pregnancy affecting the changes of getting cancer? I know in humans the incidence of uterine cancer is higher in those who never gave birth.

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
Thank you for getting out your rabbit books. She urinates in the corner and the cage is low so I have never observed the color of her urine, I will have to note that. She does not show a general loss of condition. She HAD been bred prior, in fact, my male that has been my buck is her SON. All my rabbits are related to her except a pair of siblings, the female of which I have been breeding to the aforementioned son. And looking at her paperwork, she is five, not six. sorry. But she had kindled not that long prior to being sold to me if I remember correctly. I was hoping to get a female from her to use as a breeder since I've been selling them more as pets rather than for meat, I was hoping to raise correct Cremes.

I have a young doe that is on her second litter, she really enjoyed the whole process and so I bred her again after the kits were taken from her. Is that too soon? Did your book say anything about pregnancy affecting the changes of getting cancer? I know in humans the incidence of uterine cancer is higher in those who never gave birth.
I apologize for my blunder. Rushing into help again I didn't read thoroughly.

Pulling out my books, the consensus is to let a doe rest before kindling? again. Regarding cancer in rabbits or human, can't tell you how it comes about. It just does. I know that you can wear a doe out by breeding to close together and also too many litters, no matter how in shape she is. Just ask a woman who has given birth to 3, 4, 5 children in a row. I think your "baby making" parts would be worn down too, and when anything is worn down, parts, immune system, cancer rears it's ugly head.

M.R. Lops

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I'm not sure how uterine cancer would effect a doe that hasn't been bred compared to a rabbit that has had several litters.
Right now both my Holland and Mini Rex does are about a year old, I am getting some more rabbits soon and most of them are young too. So, I don't have much experience right now with breeding older rabbits. But, here's really helpful site that I like a lot that has an article on retiring breeding rabbits: http://www.threelittleladiesrabbitry.com/retirefrombreeding.php
As for how often to breed a rabbit, you can rebreed when the babies are 6 weeks old at the soonest. When to breed her again just depends on how she's doing and what kind of shape she's in. If she recovers fast from a litter than you can breed her again when her babies are 6 weeks. A lot of breeders do breed them again right away. Or you can let her rest for a couple weeks before rebreeding.
I breed my bunnies in the late winter/early spring so I have babies to show for fair time in July and then let them rest and get in good condition for the fair and then rebreed after the fairs are over and then I usually rebreed when the babies are 6-8 weeks old.
Some breeders who live in climates with really hot summers will let their does rest for the summer and just breed in the fall and spring time.

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
M.R. Lops said:
I'm not sure how uterine cancer would effect a doe that hasn't been bred compared to a rabbit that has had several litters.
Right now both my Holland and Mini Rex does are about a year old, I am getting some more rabbits soon and most of them are young too. So, I don't have much experience right now with breeding older rabbits. But, here's really helpful site that I like a lot that has an article on retiring breeding rabbits: http://www.threelittleladiesrabbitry.com/retirefrombreeding.php
As for how often to breed a rabbit, you can rebreed when the babies are 6 weeks old at the soonest. When to breed her again just depends on how she's doing and what kind of shape she's in. If she recovers fast from a litter than you can breed her again when her babies are 6 weeks. A lot of breeders do breed them again right away. Or you can let her rest for a couple weeks before rebreeding.
I breed my bunnies in the late winter/early spring so I have babies to show for fair time in July and then let them rest and get in good condition for the fair and then rebreed after the fairs are over and then I usually rebreed when the babies are 6-8 weeks old.
Some breeders who live in climates with really hot summers will let their does rest for the summer and just breed in the fall and spring time.
Thanks for sharing your breeding plan. You have a nice plan and it gives me a lot to think about. Thanks.

savingdogs

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I agree!

I have very short cold snowy winter and a short hot summer here, so I was just trying to avoid those two times of year for kindling. However, I gave the young (healthy) doe 12 weeks from the date of her first kindling before re-breeding her, so perhaps that isn't too fast. I retained a doe from the first litter but unfortunately she broke a leg and I had to cull her, terrible accident.

"Nana" is the name of the rabbit in which I suspect the cancer now. I do believe she came from a rabbitry that is/was extremely competent and healthy and she was upfront that this doe might not kindle too many more times. I waited until her partner was old enough to breed to her, he is a little useless now but I'm thinking I can use him to breed with the offspring of his sister. I want to keep all females this time. I have been able to sell the Cremes for 30 dollars so we haven't actually used them for meat purposes yet. To some extent we want them here as a meat source in case outside meat sources become unavailable or too expensive, so for now, selling them as pets or to homesteaders is a great goal for me.

Thank you so much for all your imput. I'm really new to rabbits so this is all a learning experience for me. I'm more familiar with other animals and have only had rabbits as pets in the past, not as breeders. I'm sad to find out what is wrong with Nana, but I had been kind of thinking it might be something wrong internally like cancer, hearing that 85 percent of them get it, she would be lucky to NOT have it. I had been thinking of selling her as a pet since she isn't producing kits, but now I realize that would not be the right course either.

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
I agree!

I have very short cold snowy winter and a short hot summer here, so I was just trying to avoid those two times of year for kindling. However, I gave the young (healthy) doe 12 weeks from the date of her first kindling before re-breeding her, so perhaps that isn't too fast. I retained a doe from the first litter but unfortunately she broke a leg and I had to cull her, terrible accident.

"Nana" is the name of the rabbit in which I suspect the cancer now. I do believe she came from a rabbitry that is/was extremely competent and healthy and she was upfront that this doe might not kindle too many more times. I waited until her partner was old enough to breed to her, he is a little useless now but I'm thinking I can use him to breed with the offspring of his sister. I want to keep all females this time. I have been able to sell the Cremes for 30 dollars so we haven't actually used them for meat purposes yet. To some extent we want them here as a meat source in case outside meat sources become unavailable or too expensive, so for now, selling them as pets or to homesteaders is a great goal for me.

Thank you so much for all your imput. I'm really new to rabbits so this is all a learning experience for me. I'm more familiar with other animals and have only had rabbits as pets in the past, not as breeders. I'm sad to find out what is wrong with Nana, but I had been kind of thinking it might be something wrong internally like cancer, hearing that 85 percent of them get it, she would be lucky to NOT have it. I had been thinking of selling her as a pet since she isn't producing kits, but now I realize that would not be the right course either.
Thanks for sharing your experience. And your plans. I wish you success. Life is a learning experience. At the ripe ole age that I am (lol), I've finally realized life isn't fair and it's also applies for animals. As you learn from experiences, you learn , you have morals for not selling her as a pet. Lot of shady people out there with bad intentions. That shows others as they read a little what you are made of also. Honest business sense.

M.R. Lops

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Ms. Research said:
savingdogs said:
I agree!

Thanks for sharing your experience. And your plans. I wish you success. Life is a learning experience. At the ripe ole age that I am (lol), I've finally realized life isn't fair and it's also applies for animals. As you learn from experiences, you learn , you have morals for not selling her as a pet. Lot of shady people out there with bad intentions. That shows others as they read a little what you are made of also. Honest business sense.
One thing I've learned through raising rabbits, goats, and chickens is that the nice, friendly ones are the ones that won't make it and the ones that are tough are sometimes mean are the ones that survive... The good ones always die young.