Older goat teeth problems

oldhenlikesdogs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience dealing with older goats and problems with their teeth? I don't think I can find a vet around here that will work on them.
We plan to get a better look at them soon to see what I can see. He's losing weight and cannot chew hay. He does okay with rations so I was considering trying some pelleted alfalfa, and perhaps increasing some ration, but I'm worried about diet change and with him being a wether and the risk of stones. He has always mostly ate a grass hay and pasture.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Any feed changes should be gradual. You can give probiotics if you are worried, I'll do this when changing feed.

You could try soaked beet pulp shreds. It seems to be pretty easy on the stomach and our goats love it.
Hay pellets are good too, they can be soaked to help soften it.

I feed this chopped alfalfa when trying to transition bottle kids to feed and hay.
It is chopped really fine and the goats like it. You could soak this as well, if needed. This might be a good option for your boy.

lf.jpg

oldhenlikesdogs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Any feed changes should be gradual. You can give probiotics if you are worried, I'll do this when changing feed.

You could try soaked beet pulp shreds. It seems to be pretty easy on the stomach and our goats love it.
Hay pellets are good too, they can be soaked to help soften it.

I feed this chopped alfalfa when trying to transition bottle kids to feed and hay.
It is chopped really fine and the goats like it. You could soak this as well, if needed. This might be a good option for your boy.

lf.jpg
Thanks for the information. I will get some beet pulp to go along with the alfalfa pellets and see how it goes.

Latest posts