1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Making a Pasture -Discussion Threads
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Older LGD picking up new puppies?

Discussion in 'Livestock Guardians' started by Coolbreeze89, May 16, 2018.

1. May 16, 2018
    Coolbreeze89

Coolbreeze89 Just born

i have an 18 month anatolian/GP cross neutered male. I recently got 2 mastiff/GP mix male puppies, 8 weeks. The older dog seems to really like them, but sometimes tries to pick them up in his mouth and carry them. The puppy doesn’t cry, but I make him drop it. Is this a concerning behavior? I’m worried the puppy will get hurt. My older pup is a sweet boy, but still a teen and can be impulsive (and definitely doesn’t know his own strength). I’ve never had non-age-mate dogs at the same time before. TIA

2. May 19, 2018 at 10:40 AM
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Golden Herd Member

Sorry no answer yet. Wish I could help you but though I've had mixed age together, I've never experienced what you are. Hope it all works itself out for you.

Wehner Homestead likes this.
  3. May 19, 2018 at 7:22 PM
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

Perhaps he just wants to play. I think you are doing right to discourage him.

Wehner Homestead likes this.