Olive: Pup Update 4/10

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm really loving Teddy's relaxed demeanor....seems a confident and calm pup, just from the pic. Am I right?

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
Olive is a good momma, which was clear from the start. Well, cute little story for you.

We had a doe kid, first time mom, and NOT a good one. I wrote last month about having to save her kids from near death after she left them in the cold. Afterwards, we put them back with their mom and observed---she was reluctantly letting them nurse but was not attentive and we put them on bottles instead, sold one and the other is still here. Little doeling stayed for a few days inside our house and then was moved to a pen in the barn with another kid, but after the other kid was sold, we moved her in with the big goats because it she needs buddies.

Well, we went to feed her and couldn't find her. We looked under hay feeders, outside, and not a trace. I was a bit worried that somehow she had gotten through the fence and snatched by a coyote. But then we went to feed pups and there she was, tucked into the nest box sleeping with the other 7 babies and Olive. I was already surprised and it was too cute but then Olive stood up and the doeling started nursing!! Wow. Well. Not sure about that but Olive loves her goats so much that she apparently adopted one. Not letting her continue to nurse it though. :)

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
She is a really good girl. I did separate them though. Baby nurses way to hard anyway and Olive has her paws full with 7. We moved baby goat in with a few other baby goats and she is happy as could be.

Olive is starting to wean pups. She is not wanting to lay down for them anymore, is jumping out of reach, and spending more time away.

We removed the whelping box and got the pups set for their next adventure---going out with the goats. We are starting them with our small breed goats for now. They are not in with them directly but are not able to leave the nursery room and walk out into the goat pen, staying separated by a fence. The smaller goats can walk right in and the pups don't seem to note them much yet.

They are piggies, eating their softened food with goat milk and are trying out mom's bowl too (same food but not wet). They like water. Drinking it and playing with it.

I wish I could keep them all.
IMG_9011.JPG
IMG_9008.JPG
IMG_9002.JPG

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Their little SHARP teeth are probably starting to irritate/hurt mom when they suckle. I'll bet that little kid felt great compared ;) I can imagine it will be hard to give them up. They look great! Thanks for sharing!

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
boy the pups have really grown a lot. and what a sweet mama, she saw an orphan in need and helped the best way she knew how.

Latest posts