Ol'Thelma is DOWN, Things are looking up.

damummis

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Last night Ol'Thelma was coughing with some nasal discharge. I gave her a shot of PenG. Her temp is normal. This morning, she won't get up unless I make her. Her cough is worse and now when she coughs she has MASSIVE amounts of nasal discharge. She is not letting Hans and Franz eat. I had to hold her up just so they could eat. She refuses to eat herself. When she is up she staggers about a bit and looks uncomfortable. I can not afford the $160 it is going to cost just to get the vet to the island, not counting the actual cost of the visit and extras. Please help.

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I bet on Pneumonia. Do a search for the treatment or PM Rolls. I think it is Nuflor but that is Rx.

:hugs I am so sorry.

carolinagirl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I don't have any suggestions, I just wanted to say how sorry I am for your troubles with Thelma and her lamb. Big hugs to you.

damummis

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
She lets the boys nurse only one side. On examination her left side is hard and lumpy. I tried to milk it but she is very uncontrollable.

SuburbanFarmChic

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Seconding pneumonia. Nuflor if you can get the vet to give it to you w/o a visit or PenG if they are being difficult. 1 dose of banamine if you have it/can get it to help her feel better and bring down the fever. And possibly Vit B to keep her energy up.

In one of those "use what you have emergency situations" I was out of syringes on a holiday weekend. I was able to treat pneumonia orally with Tylan at 1cc per 40lbs. Dosed for 3 days running. Popped the lid off the bottle and just dumped it in my drench gun.

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
First take her temperature and let us know what it is. That might help narrow the disease/issue down.

damummis

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
SheepGirl said:
First take her temperature and let us know what it is. That might help narrow the disease/issue down.
Her temp is 103.3* it is 95* out with severe humidity.

She is still coughing and when she does she snorts, followed by profuse watery nasal discharge. She is off her feed and is just laying around. There is a hard lump in her left side of her udder. When I came home from work I saw here nursing both boys.

I don't know what to do. Do I pull the boys and bottle feed them? Can I feed them goat milk till I get replacer?

This is so hard.

I have given her PenG last night. I also wormed her if it is severe nose bots. And a dose of vitamin B. I have Bio-Mycin if needed.

doxiemoxie

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Like above: get her temp, treat for mastitis with today/tomorrow, give her oral or injectable antibiotics, banamine and vit B complex. (and probiotics) Do you have a stethoscope? If she sounds very congested just in her upper airway (not lungs) an antihistamine can help clear some of that. Watch her urine and poop output.
:hugs