Ol'Thelma is DOWN, Things are looking up.

damummis

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
So here is my theory.

Ol'Thelma girl eats too fast. Grain that is. She has had more than one choking episode. I am under the impression that she was choking on her grain or something and aspirated some of the fluid/foam they have when they are choking. I don't think she had mastitis she was just engorged from not feeding the boys. I am glad I got her on antibiotics though. Yesterday afternoon she tried to take a drink of water. She immediately threw up some nasty stuff. After that things got better. Maybe it was what was stuck. I did not watch her eat the morning this all started to happen. I usually do but my sister was coming up and I got sidetracked.

Today she is acting like Ol'Thelma. Her nose is still a little gooey but NOTHING like it was.

I am so grateful to have you all to help. Thank you all SO much. :D

SuburbanFarmChic

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have a young sheep that tries to choke to death if she gets any of the hay stretcher pellets. EVERY TIME. I think they are too dry for her. Maybe try misting her grain when you give it to her?

doxiemoxie

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I am so glad she's doing better too :D If she's eating too fast you can try putting some large rocks in her food dish so she has to work at eating around them. Also soaking the grain as already suggested. If her udder feels back to normal already I agree with your theory of just being congested.

damummis

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Wetting her grain works like a champ. She even seems happier to eat. Nothing is falling out of her mouth and she isn't choking it down. With her 2 teeth I should have thought of that sooner. :rolleyes: Thanks again guys!!!

doxiemoxie

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So happy its working out! I have an old goat with a "broken mouth." She's missing all her teeth on one side but she doesn't let it slow her down. This will remind me to keep a closer eye on her eating.