OMG! What did I get myself into?

azfarmgirl

Just born
Reaction score
Hi I have a 17 yo saddlebread/arabian gelding named T JUSTINTIME out of zodiac matadore. I have developed a sever allergy to horses and have to find a home for my best friend of 6 years. He is very kid and women friendly. Justin loves trail rides and the show ring. He has shown western pleasure and hunter. Worked in a childrens therapy program and compeated in endurance. there's nothing Justin can't do.

This horse has been amazing to me for the past six years, and has developed my riding and confidenct.
I hope to find him the perfect home where he can do the same for someone who will love him like i have.

This was the Craigslist listing that caught my eye. With the description and pictures of this horse I thought he would be the perfect one. We decided to go check him out, and after a four hour drive we arrived at the stable where Justin was being kept. His owner took us to him where we got to groom, saddle, and ride him. We all rode him, and being very new to the horse world this was a big deal. We don't mount horses we don't feel comfortable with, as we have only been taking lessons and riding since June. My 8 year old fell in love with him. Justin responded to him quite well. We spent four hours with this horse. He was very calm and quite amazing. He is a very smart horse. Very smart! We decided to bring him home.

I was excited for my friend to see how well this horse was with my 8 year old. Justin was going to be his. My friend came over, and helped us get Justin ready to go to the round pen at the equestrian center behind my house. He was great until we walked away from his new home. Apparently, in the short amount of time he has been here he has turned very barn sour. It took everything for my friend, who has 35+ years experience with horses to get him to the round pen. He wouldn't stop fussing and whinnying for the horses that share a fence with him from the Equine center. He could have cared less about our Quarter Horse that is in the same yard. Anyway, he was so uncontrollable that we decided it wasn't safe to get on him. My friend didn't want to try because she is older, and didn't want to risk being thrown. However, the manager of the equine center asked if she could try, and did mount him. She thought he was, "awesome", but "too much for us".
Wonderful, now I have a horse that went from being very well mannered to dangerous. Justin has been very well trained, and it shows. I hate thinking of rehoming him because he is that good. Plus, I just don't re-home, but I might not have an option. He was so good for us when we tried him out. I am very frustrated! Help!!!

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
how long have you had him? I'd give him atleast 6 weeks to settle in. if you dont' feel comfortable riding spend lots of time grooming, and hanging out with him. He needs time to bond with you. If he's that anxios start slowing taking him away from his new friends if you can't seperate them or feel unsafe. Talk to the prevoisu owner too, maybe this isn't a new thing with him?

azfarmgirl

Just born
Reaction score
promiseacres said:
how long have you had him? I'd give him atleast 6 weeks to settle in. if you dont' feel comfortable riding spend lots of time grooming, and hanging out with him. He needs time to bond with you. If he's that anxios start slowing taking him away from his new friends if you can't seperate them or feel unsafe. Talk to the prevoisu owner too, maybe this isn't a new thing with him?
I was just speaking with our trainer, and she said the exact same thing. Unfortunately, the previous owner won't return my calls or txt messages.

I really don't want to let this horse go. We will just spend every extra moment we can with him, praying that he bonds with us.

Thank you.

that's*satyrical

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I would not try to take him out to ride again until you have someone very experienced to help. You don't want to have him repeat the behavior & "get away with it" any more. The more a horse does that the more the behavior will be set and it will be more difficult to break him from it. So the next time you take him out you want someone that won't be afraid to work with him until they can get on his back & at least get a short ride in. Don't ask for too much the idea is to make him think it is your idea to go back to the barn not his and if you wait until he starts to put up a fight again to bring him back you are once again reinforcing the bad behavior. Take baby steps & don't give in to the bad barn sour behavior no matter what. If he starts to act up continue to work with him until he is acting well again praise him then decide to go back to the barn. Never go back because he is acting up. Hope this helps & good luck!! Oh & like a previous poster said maybe give him a couple of weeks before you try again just to get used to the new place a little more.

that's*satyrical

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Oh and make sure the saddle isn't pinching at all. I don't know how experienced you are with horses. It could be something as simple as something was hurting him. Once he is saddled up pull both front hooves up & forward to make sure the girth won't pinch when you're riding. Also make sure the blanket is clean & covering all areas the saddle touches & the saddle comes all the way up on his withers. Hope this helps!!

Oakroot

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
It is very possible this horse had lived in the same place for 6 years and never went any where. Then one day he is in a brand new place, his humans are gone, all the horses he knows are gone. It can be pretty upsetting for them same as any one. I agree. Give it time. You may need to have a trainer work with him for a while to get him mentally back on track as well. This is normal for horses and a green horse owner really should expect to have a horse in training for some time and once they are more confident to be taking riding lessons consistently. It does not sound like you have a bad horse just one who is stressed out and need a confident hand for a while.

bucknercrestfarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
This works for me so i dont know if this works for anyone else im nooo expert but i walk them all over i have trails that run off my Property so we go on hikes befor i take the horse out under saddle. And i also do just ground work first week or so to develop a respect i dont care how old or how trained they dont know me from adam so i treat it as a get to know each other first and get to know there new home but agin this is only what i do and,it works for me :)

taylorm17

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Start as though he is a baby and you are just starting to work him on the ground. Give him a little space, but make sure he isn't in yours. Show dominance to him. Make sure you don't grain him too much because some get sour that way too. Give him what he gives to you. He is old enough to know that. He nipps at you smack him. Gain respect and a bond. Give him some time too it may take a while. Hope this helps!

Gambro

Just born
Reaction score
Being yanked away from everything they know and love can be traumatic to a horse... or any animal.
Patience, patience, patience.
Lots of soft words in a soothing tone, brushing, and basically building good memories will take you far.
My old mare was practically wild when I got her but in the end would fall asleep with her head on my shoulder while I brushed her neck.
It took a good year, several injuries to me, a lot of ground work with rewards but she turned into the best trail horse imaginable. Fearless and trustworthy. :)

Don't give up!! Just take time out every day to work him and bond with him.
Good luck. :)
Gayle

violetsky888

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I think you should stay on the ground for a while. If possible I would feed him in the arena you want to work him in. Set up the bucket in advance and lead him away from his friends. Try to do all your feeding and fun grooming away from his friends for a short time. (week) After he gets to know you and trust you I would also start lunging him near his friends. Tack him up too, make sure he knows he is working, it won't matter that you are not riding. Later I would walk and trot him around the arena fully tacked up and then when you and he know each other do the same ritual you established on the ground in the saddle. Maybe two weeks later lead him away from the barn/ arena to a point he starts acting up and look at your watch. Have him on a lunge line and let him run circles if he is too wild for you to control comfortably. ( Usually all the action is all over very quickly, it just seems like an eternity when you're in the midst of it). It shouldn't be more than a few minutes that he is acting really stupid and soon will try to start grazing looking up and dancing less frequently. I would hang out with him away from his friends with a nice place to graze for an hour then lead him back to the no fun lunging session near his buddies every chance you get. I'm sure the owner knew about his barn sour tendencies and I'm guessing you will have to work with him for some time to make him reliable. Just build on whatever you can do safely and confidently. Just plan on spending a little extra time with him and work on this remedial training. Everyone has different training techniques but most are successful if they keep it up. i would also write down where he is at now and log the length of time it takes him to relax. It will help you from giving up and getting frustrated if you see improvement. Getting a horse is like getting married you have to plan to spend a little time training them. There is no perfect or horse or husband and it sounds like he has many good qualities that will make him worthwhile companion. One thing I've noticed is mini horses almost never are spooky or fearful because no one takes them seriously when they act up. Its hard to stay calm and confident when you have a thousand pound animal getting all worked up but you can't convey your anxiety. Even if you decide not to keep him, you maybe saving his life by getting him over his barn sour tendencies. A well-trained confident horse will always be in demand.