On a Knitting Kick.....

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've been on a knitting kick of late (must be the cold weather). I discovered Craftsy a few months ago (DANGEROUS site!!). They have supplies and patterns for many different crafts. So many pretty yarns....

I just finished, except for weaving in the ends and blocking, a cowl.

My next project is a wrap using some handspun yarn. I spun the yarn a couple years ago from one of my Shetlands. It's a super soft fingering bordering on sport weight yarn and I found the pattern on Craftsy (where else). I've had to play around with needle size and gauge because the pattern was written for a slightly heavier yarn. I also modified it to make the wrap a bit wider.

This is the yarn for the wrap.

Another project in the queue is a scarf/wrap made with a fingering weight merino yarn.

The last and biggest project is a twin size blanket. It will be with acrylic yarn since it's for my little brother and it will need to be easily washed. I'm still waiting for the yarn to arrive.

I've also gotten yarn to make baby hats. I'm hoping that will be a relatively brainless on-going project for at work. The hats will be donated to the hospital where I work.

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
I also made some wool dryer balls recently. I made 2 sets of 4, one to put in a Yankee Swap and one set to keep. But I ended up giving the 2nd set away as well. Those sets were made with a bulky yarn I spun up for the purpose.

I made 6 more balls with a cheap wool yarn I purchased this week. I didn't have time to spin more yarn, but I really wanted my dryer balls back.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
very neat, we have some French Angora rabbit fiber saved up....now just to find the time to spin it.... :\

Calendula

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I just learned how to knit after asking for a knitting set for Christmas. I'm enjoying it.

I can't wait to see the things you make! And I'll also be checking out that site.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
How beautiful! My aunt spins and knits amd has promised to teach me, and this makes me want to get moving on that! Even my 4 y.o. daughter can't wait to learn!

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
That cowl is very pretty!

I am a beginning knitter, so far I've mostly done hats, but I have a few projects I'm working on (one is a sock). Another dangerous site is Ravelry, in case you haven't found it yet.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Knitting is on my list of things I want to learn to do. I used to do lots of handwork, cross stitch, embroidery and needlepoint. Gave almost all of it away. But knitting.....I could make useful things!

How do you make the wool balls? I have chemical sensitivity and can't use dryer sheets or anything with a smell. DH fusses sometimes because of static electricity, don't wool balls take static electricity away?

Robyn8

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have to chime in on this knitting thread as I'm a very avid knitter! You all should check out ravelry.com if you haven't already. It's an amazing free website / social media site to help keep all your projects and patterns organized. So many beautiful patterns and lots are free even! My username is peaceloveandyarn8 if anyone is on there.

Latest posts