One day old goats ok?

Kimberley

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
My doe had twins yesterday and I am not 100% sure they are nursing. They are super vocal and keep trying to but I have yet to see them latch. I keep checking on them but haven’t seen much but them sleeping and mom eating. I have put them on the nipple and have gotten a couple suckles from them but they seem uninterested. This seems silly but I am going to my friends house for the day who has a pen. Should I bring them with me to keep an eye on them? I am scared to leave them without knowing if they are eating or not. I am able to milk mama so if need be I can milk and bottle feed but I would rather then get what they need straight from the source if possible. Any advice is much appreciated

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do they suckle your finger? is their mouth warm? Do you see them wagging tails when suckling the doe? Generally, they wag when nursing. True, few slurps then stop at first. Did you check doe to see that her orifices open ( squirt a couple times by hand)? As mentioned, bellies full?

Biggest issue -- be SURE they got colostrum.

goats&moregoats

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
As stated the kids will nurse quickly and often. So find time to observe them for an hour. If they nurse a few times during that hour, you should be good to go.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Express teats, sometimes colostrum can be too thick and they cannot suckle it out. When I say thick I mean thick... like glue that has been in the fridge or karo syrup in the fridge consistency. If it is like that then express and dilute and feed kids via bottle. After a milking or two the colostrum will be more liquidy and milk like.
Kids that appear to nurse but aren't getting anything will even have what looks like milk on their mouth... that is just frothy bubbles from trying so hard. Just because you see them on doen't mean they are actually nursing... nor does wagging tails. Check flow first... after that then watch to make sure they are eating... that is when tail wagging and milky mouth means they are actually nursing.
If they aren't getting anything they will just get weaker and weaker.
Kids nurse for a few seconds and do this all day. So as above like others said, observe for awhile.