One Fine Acre - 2023 4H Steer Project Update

Fullhousefarm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Good luck! You'll love the room. Although I still think having all those goats hidden in your neighborhood was sort of cool.

We have five acres and have plenty of room to expand. We have boarded horses on 3 of it. Right now they pay for the goats. LOL. Well, since late May the milk/egg money has totally covered goat feed. Yay!

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good luck! You'll love the room. Although I still think having all those goats hidden in your neighborhood was sort of cool.

We have five acres and have plenty of room to expand. We have boarded horses on 3 of it. Right now they pay for the goats. LOL. Well, since late May the milk/egg money has totally covered goat feed. Yay!

We are wondering how much if any of our goat housing we should leave in place to sell this place. Might be a niche buyer who would want to have some animals. But, might be limiting your market too.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well we officially started our slow move this weekend. Moved some household items, and I started moving stuff from the garage. I've got an "attached" 2 car garage where I am at. I was a little worried about storage because the new place has a "detached" 1 car garage. But, I found out it is actually about 25% larger than what I've got.
But, they must have been running a sale on yellow paint.

garage 2.jpg
Garage 1.jpg

Pretty happy about the ready to go goat housing. It doesn't need much work at all and is enough room to start with for all of the girls.

goat house.jpg

goat house 2.jpg

goat house 3.jpg

We really like the landscaping on the back of the house too, and the gazebo.
House 1.jpg

gazebo.jpg

Landscape.jpg

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
3728 Rosinburg marked.jpg

The plan right now is to fence section 1 and section 2. Trying to do what we need to get by for now since I have to hire a fence contractor. But, also in a way that makes sense. The plan initially is to put the bucks in section 1 and does in section 2. But later down the road section 2 and 3 will get divided.
Doing woven wire with square posts. Doing square posts and making sure they are space 8' or a little less because I want to come back and put 3 horizontal 1x6's in 1, 4 and the side of 2 that faces the road.

The lighter places with the black arrows pointed towards, is centipede. Great lawn grass, not great for livestock. To short and too slow growing. I'm close to making a deal with sod company to buy it. It's enough to sod an average sized city lot.
I'm also trying to make a deal with a landscaping company to buy this maple which will be in harms way from the goats.

Maple 1.jpg

Maple 2.jpg

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
The bucks in section 1? What direction does your wind blow there? Here in Ohio it would waft that fragrance directly at the house!

Fullhousefarm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
If you divide 2/3 the other direction you won't have to go through one section to access the other. Our property is long and skinny and that's one thing that is a pain. Especially when we have to take the tractor through 2 goat areas and one horse pen and they all want the grass on the other side. Not a huge deal, but not convenient.

Putting bucks by the road is probably wise. They arent as tempting to steal. :p

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
The place looks great! I love the shed for the goats. You can do so much with it. So after you sell off the centipede, what grass are you planning on planting? Does Bermuda grow well there? I planted giant Bermuda NK37 and it is everything they say it is.

http://www.seedranch.com/category-s/1876.htm

Bermuda dies back on frost, so plant rye, clover and other winter grasses for your area.

Our land went from cleared to grass in 3 months. I had skips because I threw it out by hand, had no way to disc it and we had a drought. I kept the horses off it and it took off. This stuff GROWS! Your goats probably couldn't keep up with it. You could get a scythe and cut it by hand for hay for the winter.

burn pile.jpg

BJ and Joe.jpg

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
The bucks in section 1? What direction does your wind blow there? Here in Ohio it would waft that fragrance directly at the house!

That's the short term plan. But, actually the prevailing wind direction it would be favorable. In summer time prevailing winds are from the south and winter the north. Either way would be parallel to the house.

We know we want to use section 1 and it might work the best in the short term to put the bucks there.

Last edited:

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
The place looks great! I love the shed for the goats. You can do so much with it. So after you sell off the centipede, what grass are you planning on planting? Does Bermuda grow well there? I planted giant Bermuda NK37 and it is everything they say it is.

http://www.seedranch.com/category-s/1876.htm

Bermuda dies back on frost, so plant rye, clover and other winter grasses for your area.

Our land went from cleared to grass in 3 months. I had skips because I threw it out by hand, had no way to disc it and we had a drought. I kept the horses off it and it took off. This stuff GROWS! Your goats probably couldn't keep up with it. You could get a scythe and cut it by hand for hay for the winter.

View attachment 4277

View attachment 4278

Yes, bermuda is the way to go here. I'll check out that variety.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you divide 2/3 the other direction you won't have to go through one section to access the other. Our property is long and skinny and that's one thing that is a pain. Especially when we have to take the tractor through 2 goat areas and one horse pen and they all want the grass on the other side. Not a huge deal, but not convenient.

Putting bucks by the road is probably wise. They arent as tempting to steal. :p

That was a thought too, running 2-3 the other direction. We keep going back and forth on if we should do section 1 now or not, and do all of the back and divide in half in the other direction like you suggested. We've got another week to decide for sure.

Last edited: