One Fine Acre - 2023 4H Steer Project Update

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Great looking puppy! :love My GP has lived in our back yard, when we move she will finally have ACRES! Just so you know, at 9-10 months, LGD's get real playful and can do a lot of damage. Our GP was given to us because they turned her loose on 3 acres of free range chickens--then they left for work. What's a puppy to do with 3 acres of squeaky toys? PLAY with them of course. They punished her terribly and all but ruined her. It took me 2 years, but she is the best chicken protecting GP in the world. You will love, love your puppy!

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Great looking puppy! :love My GP has lived in our back yard, when we move she will finally have ACRES! Just so you know, at 9-10 months, LGD's get real playful and can do a lot of damage. Our GP was given to us because they turned her loose on 3 acres of free range chickens--then they left for work. What's a puppy to do with 3 acres of squeaky toys? PLAY with them of course. They punished her terribly and all but ruined her. It took me 2 years, but she is the best chicken protecting GP in the world. You will love, love your puppy!

We currently have a GP/BC mix. Despite the fact that may not be a great cross, Mikey is great. But, we got him when he was 1.5 years old and trained, so a puppy is new territory for us. Trying to take the right steps with her. She is adjacent to the goats at all times, get's to observe Mikey with goats, take her out for chores, supervised visits with goats. Letting her spend some time with more dominant goats etc. But, it is going to take some time with her for sure.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
There is some very informative reading on the LGD thread. I had studied these dogs, wanted one badly, but couldn't justify putting one in the back yard. But there she was, 10 months old, and a problem. We took here and have never been sorry. She will finally have room to be what she was born to do..... will have to get her some lambs or goats. LOL I learned a lot by reading the forum. And there is lots of help there too!

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Got fence started today. Got holes dug for posts on 2 of 4 sides of the perimeter.

Fence 1.jpg

Fence 4.jpg

Fence 2.jpg

Fence 3.jpg

Fence 5.jpg

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
fencing is looking great. i have to admit, I'm so glad that is youall building fence instead of me though. not for the faint of heart but you can really see the progress.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
You will be so glad to have that job done. A good fence is a wonderful thing to have, the satisfaction of having done it your self is priceless!

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Great decision!! You will never regret owning acreage. We paid $435.00 per acre for an Oklahoma acreage in 2003 now it's worth about $1,200 per acres. It's just old cotton ground, but it grows hay and goats real good. I have chickens, goats, horses and bird dogs. And a big red gate with a no trespassing sign on it. I love the country life.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Got a new toy today. Not really a toy, it is needed. Grass hasn't been cut at the new place for 3 weeks now. All I had was a 5 HP push mower, all I ever needed. Got a Cub Cadet 54" Zero turn. Didn't feel like I really needed a commercial one, and didn't feel like paying an extra $1000 for green paint. Besides, this matches the garage. :)

Really need to get that boat sold now. A lot of calls at first, and two people have looked at it, but not sold yet.

Just as I was getting going good, it started pouring down rain. Bummer :(

But, I'm on vacation all next week.

mower 2.jpg

Latest posts