One Fine Acre - 2023 4H Steer Project Update

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
You will be so glad to have that job done. A good fence is a wonderful thing to have, the satisfaction of having done it your self is priceless!

Baymule, I appreciate the vote of confidence on building the fence myself. But, this was too big of a job if I planned to get moved before Christmas. We are doing about half the property now, and I hired a contractor. We will do the rest myself, but this was just too big of a job to get done with the time I have.

I'll take credit for the new roof on the goat house. And, my alternator went out on my truck last weekend and I fixed that. I guess my manliness is still intact. :thumbsup

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
What kind of wire are you using? I am looking at wire and thinking horse wire. I used field fencing on some other land we had and the horses hung their hooves in it and tore it up. Horse wire is 2"x4" and they can't stick their foot in it. The chickens won't be able to crawl through it either, and I plan on free ranging them.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
2x4 woven. I think what you are calling field fencing is 4x4 woven. Baby nigerians could probably get through it, if not the adults could get their heads through it.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Big week last week. Took a week's vacation for the move. Fence contractor put me in a bind, in that he didn't finish until Saturday.

Good news, sold the boat. Bye boat:clap
photo 3 (5).jpg

Interim solution I got a couple of those metal carports. One is a shelter for the boys. The other is to keep a couple of bales of hay under and the milk stand. Got those installed on Thursday.

Boys house

photo 4 (5).jpg

photo 5 (3).jpg

Hay storage and milking location.
photo (11).jpg

Got the animals moved on Sunday. They like the new place.
photo 1 (9).jpg

Attachments

• photo (11).jpg
    photo (11).jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 179

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have plans to get one of those carports too! We have a portable building on some land that we have sold, and we will be moving it up there. But it has stuff in it and stuff has to come out. Ummmmm.......... I know! What about stacking stuff under a CARPORT? :lol:

Your place is looking good! The fence turned out real nice and the goats certainly look happy. Glad you sold the boat, you'll be busy on your new place anyway, so go buy your fish! :D =D

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
A couple of new pics I took yesterday.

The Buck Pen
We had a line of bad storms last night and I was worried if the bucks would stay dry. Lasted a couple of hours. Went out and checked and they stayed dry under the carport. :weee
Buck Pen.jpg

Girls loving the new house

Goats digging new house.jpg

Milk Stand

Milk Stand.jpg

Things are coming along nicely. The goats seem really happy in the new place.
In all honesty, I wasn't enjoying the goats very much lately at the old place. Looking forward to chores again.:)

Last edited:

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
So much going on. A little crazy if you want to know the truth. Clipped goats on Saturday and Sunday and Maurine is still clipping today. The N.C. Mountain State Fair is this weekend and we are going. Mixed feelings here, I thought we had to much to do and had spent too much money lately. But, we do work all year for this and will get most of the money back in premiums (hopefully)

Latest posts