One Fine Acre - 2023 4H Steer Project Update

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Angle has Lymes disease. And, it has affected her kidneys. I can't begin to tell you all badly I feel. I noticed about 6 weeks ago when I was brushing them all out that she had lost a lot of weight and I figured it was worms. So, I wormed and have been feeding her "specially" ever since. She wasn't gaining weight but was holding her own and generally seemed to feel fine. She seemed to love the special attention when I would bring her to the house to feed her. In fact, Tuesday Freeday opened the gate and she got out and went on a cross country run for an hour or so.
But, Thursday night she wouldn't eat at all. And Friday she crashed really hard. I fed her chicken and she ate it but ended up throwing it all back up this morning. I wonder now had she had not been keeping food down for a while.
I'm having them treat her. It's costing a lot and the vet isn't making any promises. I just couldn't have them put her down without trying. I'm just so upset with myself for letting this happen to her.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Per instructions I called the vet today after 12 after they ran blood work on Angel. The vet said that "clinically" she was better in that she looked better, ate some canned chicken and drank water. However, her blood work didn't show any improvement in kidney function. Not exactly what we wanted to hear. We were at our goat club meeting so I told the vet we were going to come by and visit her and speak in person.

She told us that she decided to increase her fluids since the fact that she was getting IV fluids and drinking indicated she hadn't caught up her hydration yet. They gave her some lasix because she had not urinated, but she did a couple of times after they gave it to her.

The vet said that she likely has permanent kidney damage, but it is possible that she can still regain enough function to have some quality of life. I still wasn't ready to let her go yet, so we are going to check her out tomorrow morning and take her somewhere else for further treatment. This emergency clinic actually closes at 7 am on Monday and is only open after hours during the week, so I have to check her out at 7:30. I spoke to the vet about taking her to the practice she works at full time for some continuity in her treatment, and we are going to do that or the vet school.

Last edited:

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
I commend you for your efforts in trying to help her...that fine line of do i put her down so she doesnt suffer is a hard one to make, she doesn't sound like she is there , really praying your angel girl does well with good kidney function :fl she is a lucky girl to be in your family :hugs to all of you, barb

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Picked Angel up this morning and took her home. She looks better than yesterday and was just a wagging her tail when I took this picture. Our appointment is at 2:00 to take her to the vet. We are taking her to the regular practice of the vet who treated her at the emergency clinic. She is very nice and knowledgeable and I got a really good vibe from her, so I'd like her to continue to take care of Angel.

Angel 1.jpg

Latest posts