One Fine Acre at the 2014 NC Mountain State Fair

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
We went to the NC Mountain State Fair this weekend. I'm glad I decided to take today off in that we didn't get home until 11:30 last night. I tell you pulling a livestock trailer for 5 hours is a lot like work.
So, we had a really good show. Our daughter Rachel had the Reserve Grand Champion Jr. Doe (Moonpie Dry Yearling) and the Grand Champion Sr. Doe and Overall Grand Champion (Zamia 4-5 year old) in the youth show.

In the open show, our Jr's didn't do really well, I don't think we had anyone higher than 5th place, but our Sr's did really well considering the level of competition in the show. There is a farm in western NC called J-Nels that has ADGA national caliber animals. They had Grand Champion, Best of Breed and their dairy herd was picked Best in Show. All of us Nigerian breeders get excited when Nigerians are picked Best in Show.

Daisy came in 2nd in 1-2 year old milkers, Taffy came in 3rd in 2-3 year old milkers (Grand Champion and Best of Breed was in this group) Cocoa came in 1st place in 3-4 year old milkers, and Rosmary came in 2nd in 4-5 year old milkers. All of the classes had were pretty large, I think the least in any class was 12 animals. Zamia finished 3rd in the Champion Challenge behind 3 J-Nels animals. Our dairy herd of Zamia, Taffy, and Cocoa came in 4th out of 10 Nigerian Herds.

This picture of Zamia is awful. :mad: Nobody was cooperating especially Rachel who was hot, hungry and tired. I didn't realize until I loaded on the computer how bad it looked.
For some reason standing in that mulch makes her back looked swayed.

Mt. State Fair.jpg

Mt State Fair 2.jpg

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hot, tired, girl holding a sway back looking doe that has her stance wrong, looks like happy memories to me! Congratulations on a great show! Not so great pictures sometimes are the best ones when you look back and remember when.....

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds like all the girls did great. Its always hard competing against farms who have years and years into breeding quality animals- but so rewarding when yours are right up there- or even beat them!

That is very true.
J-Nels is actually retiring. They were nice enough to share their sales list with us at fair. I'm not in the market for a new animal now after buying the buckling this spring. Some of the other folks there were buying some though.
They've even listed their farm for sale.

Latest posts