One Fine Acre - 2023 4H Steer Project Update

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.
I just hate not knowing what happened.
He was obviously fully developed. I don't know if Maurine ended up weighing the doe, but she looked to be close to 4 lbs and the buck may have been a little bit larger.
Very sad.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
We are concerned about the doe kid. She had a rattle like she had sucked some ambiotic fluid in her nose, and it has persisted and got worse. Talked to the vet and he said that if the buck kid had been dead a week some toxins could have developed that she was exposed too. He did not give a very good prognosis. We gave her some BoSe and thiamine and he told us to give her some Excenel and banamine. So, we will do the best we can. I asked Maurine if we should take her to the vet school and she said no. She doesn't think they can do anything for her that we aren't doing. It's going to be a really bad start to kidding season if we lose her too. Zenith is Zamia's daughter.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hope the kid pulls through.

Are you giving Zenith anything? Uterine flush or antibiotics? I know they "clean out" after kidding, but I'd be temped to put her on something also.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Honestly, this year has been so horrible for so many that I know. I’d rather be safe than sorry. I’m not one to just start throwing meds out at an animal but this year has me on edge.