One Fine Acre Breeding thread

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Everybody is bred now.
So, let's go back and see how everyone is doing.
Zamia and Rosemary are coming up on 2 months now.

Zamia and Rosemary.jpg

Zamia and Rosemary 2.jpg

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Cookie and Ginger are coming up on 2 months. Ginger probably looks further along, but she's just a wide load. But, she's my best milker.
Cookie.jpg

Ginger is Cookie's dam.
Ginger..jpg

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
:) nice, this is reassuring to me as several of my ewes were bred about the same time seem to be "showing" off some bellies too! :clap

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Does anyone use AI for breeding? Seems like there would be a better choice of bucks that way.

Is it difficult to learn? Expensive? Effective?
More people are doing AI for goats. It is more "complicated" than for cows and pigs. I think complicated is the right word. It's not as easy to do.

There is semen available for Nigerians, although not the selection that exists for standard breeds.

You can get a small semen tank for around $600 and I think the other equipment for another $400 or so. So, you would start with about $1000 initial investment if you were going to do it yourself.

Not sure the percentage with goats. Wife said they were about 80% when she has done cows and pigs.

There isn't anyone I know of around here who does AI for other people. Maybe that service exists other areas. I know a Togg breeder who is a vet who AI's his own goats. I know some Alpine breeders who do it as well.

My wife lost her job in Sept. I told her she needed to go in the AI business.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lot of people on this forum who want goats, but not a buck. You can have 2 miniature goats on a half acre lot in Raleigh. We get calls all the time from people in Raleigh who want doelings, or a doe already in milk. I think she could make a profit doing AI.

At the Rocky Mount show there was a Nigerain breeder who came from 12 hours away and only brought bucks. We talked to her and she has 25 bucks and 100 does. We asked her why she had so many bucks and she said she just really liked bucks. Well, her bucks won every single age group, Grand Reserve, and Grand Champion in Saturday show. She had a family emergency and couldn't stay for Sunday. She would have won then if she had of stayed.

Went to her website when we were looking a buck. She's selling semen. She even advertises which shows she's going to, and will deliver semen.

Been talking about a new buckling and we may still do that. But, could buy a semen tank for what a great buckling would cost, and get her to bring a few "straws" to Rocky Mt or Shelby.

Last edited: