One Fine Acre - 2023 4H Steer Project Update

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Even I have heard of Piedmontese cattle. Just look at that hindquarter! That steer has a bootie any R&B singer would be proud to have!

You sure dodged a bullet on the Hereford. Better it to keel over dead before you picked it up than after you got it home.

What is a Shorthorn+ plus? I know what a Shorthorn is, but what is the Plus?

Really glad to hear from you and know that everything is going good for you and family.

They aren't pure short horn, they are some percentage of Angus. 5/8 Shorthorn and 3/8 Angus (I think).

This farm in Ohio kind of specializes in breeding show steers for 4H etc. He said the reason this guy was still available was because he was black. Well, blackish I would say. Folks up there didn't want that. Doesn't matter so much here. It was pretty nice that he drove that far to meet her. He has some folks down here to visit, but still nice. I think he feels this guy could be a winner.

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
They aren't pure short horn, they are some percentage of Angus. 5/8 Shorthorn and 3/8 Angus (I think).

This farm in Ohio kind of specializes in breeding show steers for 4H etc. He said the reason this guy was still available was because he was black. Well, blackish I would say. Folks up there didn't want that. Doesn't matter so much here. It was pretty nice that he drove that far to meet her. He has some folks down here to visit, but still nice. I think he feels this guy could be a winner.
I love it when breeders are willing to do it. I know that being able to say they had X amount of champions is huge for them and their marketing, but it is so helpful when they are willing to go out of their way to help a kid.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Rachel's steer came from Turner Shorthorns. There are videos at this link.

Rachel's is #71. The video was taken this summer. He was supposed to have weighed 750 lbs last week. The weigh in for the 4H Spring 2022 show and sale is Monday. I'll post what he weighs then.

I was looking for some pictures and I found these. I promised some pictures of some our "new talent" as far as goats. This is One Fine Acre Sierra. She is a 2 year old 2nd freshener. Pictures are at spring show. She was showed in 4 rings in the spring and again in the NC State Fair. She won her age group in all 5 rings and was Reserve Grand a couple of times this spring.

To me, she's a little too fleshy, but it's good that she maintains good body condition when milking.

1638652550593.jpeg

1638652643437.jpeg

1638652697840.jpeg

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Here he is. He is supposed to be halter broken, but I would say he was about "semi-halter broken". He certianly isn't wild. I brushed him before I took this picture. And, you can take the halter and turn him and get him to sorta go where you want to. But, he needs more work. We are keeping him in this small pen where we normally put does to be bred in until weigh in Monday before we move him to his larger pasture. Don't want to take any chances on being able to get him loaded.

1638654739096.jpeg

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
I mentioned on another thread that I had a doe who milked through this year and was grand champion at the N.C. State Fair in her 14th month of lactation.

One Fine Acre Salt and Pepper. She appraised 91 EEEE this spring and appraiser said he wouldn't change a thing about her udder. In fact, while there isn't a runner up for best udder in show at the state fair, the judge said the competiton was between Pepper and the Nubian who he picked. You can't really tell in this picture because of the judges black pants in back ground just how exceptionally long and level this does rump is.

1638751934117.jpeg

1638751987917.jpeg

Not a great picture, but this is Pepper's twin sister One Fine Acre Cinammon and Spice. She appraised 90 VEEE and was grand champion in this ring in Spring Show. Pepper won a ring too.

1638752105320.jpeg

I don't think these are actually our best does. We have one named One Fine Acre Godiva who appraised 90 VEEE this year with half of her udder blown from mastitis. Yep, appraiser gave her an E on udder when only half was there. That's how good it is. One Fine Acre Honeysuckle won her age group at 2020 NC State Fair, but didn't get bred this year.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
So, the weigh in for the 4H Show and Sale was yesterday.
Drake weighed in at 840 lbs.

He actually, handles pretty good at this point. Maurine said there were some wild ones at the weigh in. He didn't really want to go in the scale enclosure.
1638887211891.jpeg

1638887262718.jpeg

1638887319633.jpeg

Latest posts