One Fine Acre - 2023 4H Steer Project Update

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just how does one get a goat to go up on those stands?? The stand I made to shear the alpacas is only 18" high WITH a ramp and NO WAY they were going up there without being simultaneously pulled from the front and shoved from the rear.
They jump right on it
It's outside of the fence and you just let them out and they run jump on it

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
those big girls do like to eat for sure. takes a bit more to keep them 'in flesh'. they sure look nice.
They definitely require more effort
I think they look pretty good though
The 2 year old FF who isn't making as much milk is easier
The 5 year old is a little harder
I think the FF is going to be the better of the 2
Better rear attachment
Sometimes those heavy milkers with the weight of all of that milk puts a strain in that udder

IMG_2903.JPG
IMG_2904.JPG
IMG_2905.JPG
IMG_2906.JPG
IMG_2910.JPG

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Bruce greed in a goat is your friend. get them use to eating on the stand while you milk and they will head straight for the stand/food.
OFA I love those long broad rumps. dstr#1 and I have had more than one discussion about the difference between the look of a dairy doe and an overfed doe. she wants hers to be round and I want mine to be productive and dairy. good flesh but not fat. never that twain shall meet on that for her.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Bruce greed in a goat is your friend. get them use to eating on the stand while you milk and they will head straight for the stand/food.
OFA I love those long broad rumps. dstr#1 and I have had more than one discussion about the difference between the look of a dairy doe and an overfed doe. she wants hers to be round and I want mine to be productive and dairy. good flesh but not fat. never that twain shall meet on that for her.
I think you have an eye for talent :)
Those rumps are really good
But on another related subject that makes me think about Clarabelle's 92 on her LA
I asked the appraiser if they made any concessions on the LA score for some of the Nigerians inherent weaknesses compared to standard goats
He said NO
That was the deal when ADGA started the herdbook
They are scored exactly the same

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Congrats on surviving and thriving for another year. Best wishes for another! Knowing you work at a bank, I didn't expect a cubicle life... :idunno

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Congrats on surviving and thriving for another year. Best wishes for another! Knowing you work at a bank, I didn't expect a cubicle life... :idunno

I work at a bank, but I'm not a banker.:)
I work in finance, primarily in the area of contracts with our vendors (IBM, Microsoft, etc.)
We've been very active in mergers and acquisitions over the last several years and I am my area's lead in that too, i.e. how we handle the merged banks contracts with their vendors. Or, more specifically how much we have to pay them to terminate the contracts.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
... and may there be many, many more!
But hopefully not many, MANY in a cubicle. ;)
Happy Bday OFA!

I see we are still making "too big to fail" banks. When my wife was a kid she was given stock in 3 different local banks. None of them is still in existence having been sucked up by:
TD Bank
People's United
And the most recent Community Bank