One Fine Acre - 2023 4H Steer Project Update

MiniSilkys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Congratulations on the great save! When my Maybelline died, I thought she might have had bloat. She was already down and I did not have a trocar( I think that is what it is). I wanted to use a knife to relieve her but was scared because I was not sure if it was bloat and I did not want to hurt her if it was not. After a few minutes trying to get my courage up with the knife she died. I cried like a baby because I thought if I had gone ahead and done it she might have lived. In the end I think she got a hold of a poisonous plant. So again, congratulations on getting what needed to be done, done.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
So we are enjoying a lull until we move into kidding part 2.
All of the kids are doing really well.
We've never had such a good doe to buck ratio. We used Vivaldi pretty heavily. He's getting it done in that respect.
We've disbudded I think 10 so far We have a few more to do today, but it looks like we've had a good portion of polled kids.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
20190327_234245.jpg

20190327_234226.jpg

Bayleaf Meadows

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
That's wonderful! They look beautiful! Hoping the rest continues going well.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
The doe is an itty bitty little thing.
We were caught off guard. She wasn't in a kidding stall and had already had them when Maurine got home from work. They were at 3 different locations and mom was at a 4th acting oblivious. The biggest buck was all fluffed up, the other two were cleaned off but kind of matted up. We think mom focused on the first one and the dogs cleaned up the others.
When Maurine got the babies up in a laundry basket, Angel and Bella got into a knock down drag out fight. Probably over the afterbirth. They both had blood on their ears.
Saw them nurse, but the little one's stomach felt empty still, so we weren't sure if mom made much milk, she looked empty.
Thawed some colostrum and they took the bottle.
I think they are doing good today.

MiniSilkys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
That is what happened with Anna's kids. The boy was almost gone. It was 35 degrees out. I had to warm him up myself and Anna hasn't wanted them since. They are one week tomorrow. The buck weighs 3 lbs and the girl weighs 3.13 lbs. And the buck has pink eye (noncontagious). Just from getting something in it.

Latest posts