One Fine Acre - 2023 4H Steer Project Update

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
You have a herd of children! Remind them you gave them life and they owe you ;)
My children are wonderful, no problem there, but they are not conscripts. When the adults come home for a visit, it is special... they don't owe me anything but to be good people, contribute to society... I did not raise snowflakes!:lol:

I need a tractor, an arborist, someone that can haul junk away! :lol:

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
We ALL need a tractor :D

There is a company here called "Got Junk?". I gather they will clean out your junk from anywhere on the property and take it away. Don't know how much it costs.

sadieml

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So, OFA, you're running high with the bucklings this year, huh?:( I still need an unrelated stud down here to the south of you. Let me know what's available when the time comes, and I'll try to work a deal with ya!:D Funds are still at a premium, but you can only scrimp just so-much when you're trying to build a nice little herd. Most of all, I need to be looking at does, of course, but my goatie-pal here, Mark, has Tulip (the one that miscarried) who could use a good servicing *wink, wink, nudge, nudge*. If nothing else, maybe we could buy some frozen "goods" from you and try AI? According to Mark, Tulip is a great producer, and I know she's a good mom. I'd love to get her bred for him, 'cause he'd still be willing to share kids with us if we provide the studding (even if it's AI).

Tulip's a real sweetheart. Every morning when I go to milk Laurabelle, Tulip wants to go, too. I'm sure she wants the "treats" (grain on the stanchion), but she actually enjoys being milked. I tried to get her "in-milk" after her miscarriage, but I guess I waited too long, 'cause I only ever got a little colostrum, and only drops at that. I'd looove to get to milk her, though.:)

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
So, OFA, you're running high with the bucklings this year, huh?:( I still need an unrelated stud down here to the south of you. Let me know what's available when the time comes, and I'll try to work a deal with ya!:D Funds are still at a premium, but you can only scrimp just so-much when you're trying to build a nice little herd. Most of all, I need to be looking at does, of course, but my goatie-pal here, Mark, has Tulip (the one that miscarried) who could use a good servicing *wink, wink, nudge, nudge*. If nothing else, maybe we could buy some frozen "goods" from you and try AI? According to Mark, Tulip is a great producer, and I know she's a good mom. I'd love to get her bred for him, 'cause he'd still be willing to share kids with us if we provide the studding (even if it's AI).

Tulip's a real sweetheart. Every morning when I go to milk Laurabelle, Tulip wants to go, too. I'm sure she wants the "treats" (grain on the stanchion), but she actually enjoys being milked. I tried to get her "in-milk" after her miscarriage, but I guess I waited too long, 'cause I only ever got a little colostrum, and only drops at that. I'd looove to get to milk her, though.:)[/QUOTE ]

:thumbsup

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow
Molasses our FF milked 4.3 lbs on milk test today
And here was a big surprise
Opal a 2nd freshener who kidded 16 days ago milked 4.2 lbs on her first test
She has really increasesd from her FF
Will post the others tomorrow
They all did well

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Moonpie would be looking more and more like a cull especially considering how her elbows kick out
But she is Molasses dam
But we don't have Fortunato who is Molasses sire
Don't really know what to do
We have got to make some cuts