One Fine Acre - 2023 4H Steer Project Update

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
I pulled my garden tractor (no traction uphill in reverse AT ALL!) away from the pond behind the barn last year ... with my Prius :lol: I also used it to pull the tractor with the blower on WHILE facing uphill. Not much traction even with chains with all that weight up front even with a 50# rear weight and my 190 pounds on the seat. Once one rear wheel loses traction, it is all over but watching that wheel spin.

Never owned an American branded car. Low reliability and reliability is important to me. A 1969 VW squareback bought used at 5 years from my uncle. Followed by a Toyota Celica, Mazda 626, Honda Odyssey ('95, the "most car like" minivan, not the big one) then the 2004 Prius and the 2009 Prius in 2012 when a "I'm a good driver, really" girl rear ended me on an interstate onramp (WHILE I was doing at least 30 MPH) and did enough damage they totaled the car. And no, the expensive traction battery was not damaged.
Never could get my arms around the Prius
Corolla is a better looking car, cheaper, no battery to replace and gets 40 mpg

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Despite our efforts a couple of our clipped does got sun burn
Moved them to a totally shaded pen and are applying aloe Vera
We have a couple of really fair skinned bucks to clip
Temps are lower this week going to get them T shirts

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
just what you need, a bunch of flakey goats to show. :barnie they are all looking great, anxious to see how things go for youall this year.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
All the does are clipped
2 of the bucks are now
Our bucks didn't do well last year
I thought they may have been over conditioned
I think they may be again
Also I've got to get a proper device with a 90 degree angle to measure height at withers
I had made something but can't find it
I think I have a 2 year old buck over height
Eye balling with a masonry ruler doesn't even look close like he may be 1 1/2 in over

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
That is unfortunate. What is the height restriction on ND's? Is there a difference between does and bucks at all? I noticed the judges at the show we were at measuring every ND as it entered the ring. They turned one away.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is unfortunate. What is the height restriction on ND's? Is there a difference between does and bucks at all? I noticed the judges at the show we were at measuring every ND as it entered the ring. They turned one away.
22 1/2 for does
23 1/2 for bucks

In my opinion that isn't enough of a difference

It's a bit of a debate in the Nigerian world
Some want to raise the height standard for bucks
Some not only don't want to raise it but want to not allow
Any future registration of offspring from an animal found over height

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
When I showed miniature horses there were two different registries for them. One for the mini's under the height allowance and one for the mini's over. I guess the real question about whether to allow the registrations would be what they want in the future. As a standard goat lover, I would "think" that ensuring that NDs stay small would be important. But opinions change over time. It will be interesting to see which way this wind blows. Do you breed your bucks that are over height? Does this tend to lead to doelings and bucklings that are over height?

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
ahh yes, I remember well looking at the youngsters and thinking about how they would do in the ring next year or the year after. I still do that even tho I no longer show. have to find out how things turn out.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
ahh yes, I remember well looking at the youngsters and thinking about how they would do in the ring next year or the year after. I still do that even tho I no longer show. have to find out how things turn out.
We have some doe kids that Zamia
Is paternal grand dam with very plumb teats

which has always been what has made her better than most Nigerians
In that she is almost in a class by herself

And we have some nice looking doe kids with very plumb teats

Latest posts