One Fine Acre - 2023 4H Steer Project Update

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
When I showed miniature horses there were two different registries for them. One for the mini's under the height allowance and one for the mini's over.

That's not quite correct. Some miniature horse registries have two height classes, the A's which are under 34", and the B's which are 34" - 38" , but if the horse is more than 38" tall, you can't register it, nor can its offspring ever be registered. At one time an animal could be hardshipped in based on size, but no more - not in the registries that are viewed with respect, anyway.

I know that there are a few registries that have special registration for animals that don't fall within the standard ("breeding stock" Paint horses, or part Shetland sport ponies, for example) but that's generally for the purpose of competing in some sort of athletic endeavor.

I would think that for conformation purposes, if height is part of the standard, then getting the proportions right would necessarily involve keeping your breeding stock at least close to the standard's stated height. I know a lot of rabbit breeds have both a minimum and a maximum size; people pushing the size too far one way or the other usually wind up sacrificing some pretty important features of type and get animals that don't really fit the standard in other ways.

I've heard some people say that dog shows and breed standards have been the ruination of some dog breeds, as people have pushed the animal's form way beyond what can possibly perform whatever the breed's original function might have been. Do you think there's any danger of that in dairy goats?

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do you think there's any danger of that in dairy goats?

I think that in many ways they have done the breeds a favor by focusing on udders and body structure. However...I don't think that a goat should win it's permanent championship without proving themselves in a milk test, even if it is a one day test.

I don't show, I find it boring. But I have some beautiful animals that are a pain to milk for one reason or another. I also have some goats with udders that look like footballs that milk like a dream. But there needs to be complete package, that should be the goal...IMO

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
That's not quite correct. Some miniature horse registries have two height classes, the A's which are under 34", and the B's which are 34" - 38" , but if the horse is more than 38" tall, you can't register it, nor can its offspring ever be registered.

Thanks! That was 15 years ago for me and I couldn't recall if there was a height restriction on the larger ones. Also, I was too lazy to look it up...:hide We never encountered that problem either though. Ours were either in the AMHA or AMHR. Borderline, often a hoof trim right before the show put the one at AMHA height restrictions.

@babsbag, I like that idea. However, they do have the milk star to make up for the lack. So the star and CH should give you the whole package. One thing I noticed at the shows I have been to is that I like larger teats for milking and the smaller teats seem to win. Seems silly. Watching everyone who won trying like heck to milk out the does with pita teats so they can go back in for best of show... :hu

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Carts back in the ditch folks
Didn't have truck Sat so took the car and got what feed I could
My hay/feed guy is closed on Wed and Thur
But he told me he would meet me
But he only has one bag of mixed feed we give goats
He mixes on Friday
And we bout out
Didn't manage this well
Could have fed the steers some TSC sweet feed
Now we have to try to transition does before a show
Did I mention we have milk test on Thursday?

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
IMG_2686.JPG
My new unofficial Nigerian Dwarf measuring stick
22.5 on bottom
23.5 on top

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
There are days that the cart just won't budge. It can get mighty muddy in that ditch at times too but hoping that right now at least your ditch is dry. :)

My girls DEMAND their feed on the milk stand and I have scrimped a few times to get by until I can get to the feed store again...it isn't a pretty sight.

@dejavoodoo114 Yes, there are milk stars but I have seen many a champion that has never been on test or done an LA. Personally I would rather do just LA and milk test and forget prancing around in a ring. I personally don't care if my goat is the best FOR THE DAY or if yours is; it all depends on who the judge is for that ring. When I am milking by hand the big teats win by far but I use the machine it makes no difference but since most goats are going to be hand milked teat size should matter. I have one that has nice big teats but they fill slowly and I have to actually change the speed on the pulsator to milk her correctly. By hand she takes FOREVER to milk as I have to wait between each squeeze; weirdest thing ever. We will see what her daughter does for me next year.