One Fine Acre - 2023 4H Steer Project Update

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had to put a goat down this evening. It was Climate Control's buck kid from this spring. I called him "Crooked Leg". He did something to his leg when he was a kid, it was in June. We think he tore a ligament or something in his leg and it healed and just started growing crooked. So even though Climate finished on the milk leader board couldn't sell him as a herd sire.
I was going to give him to someone in the goat club that was going to eat him so we were trying to put a little weight on him.
The last couple of weeks he hadn't been acting the same. We think the leg started to bother him. But, he was still eating well and didn't seem to be in distress.
He took a really bad turn today. We think he he may have gotten pneumonia.
I really hate it. Toughest part of having goats is losing one. What a terrible waste.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is the sign of a good "herdsperson" that you knew you were responsible to take care of him in whatever way was the best and most humane. Never easy to do.

How are your in-laws doing? Did everything get resolved with the cattle and equipment rustlers? Hope they spend a good portion of their life serving time for it as it is obvious they will not learn any other way. Better to have them incarcerated than out continuing to cause trouble.
Cattle prices here are getting a bit better. Don't look for any great surge, but they are definitely up from the horrible lows in Nov and Dec. Wish we had had some extra cash back then to take advantage of the very low prices on a bunch of bred heifers. We never buy bred heifers anymore as you don't know what you are getting, but we knew where these had come from, and should have bought a bunch and gone through and culled some older poorer preforming cows this spring .

Unfortunately, there was no money since we hadn't sold hardly any calves, and we are now fighting a neighbor that is bringing a lawsuit because Verizon wants to put a tower on my son's land. It is much needed for the area as the service is spotty, but this one woman is a real PIA about everything, and now we are having to put money into a lawyer and all to fight her. It will be a good extra source of income, that is surely one of the perks.... but we need the service as I often don't have any at my house and the emergency crews don't either, in a large area this should serve. It is going to cost us close to at least 2 years income, from the tower, if we win. But not fighting her is not an option as we are not savvy enough to go to court on this by ourselves and she has a real SOB of a lawyer that everyone knows for being a lowdown #@$%$. She is mad because they turned down her application, then said that she was only applying to "get information" about it because they are an "eyesore" and all kinds of stuff. She is also suing him for not following the restricted covenants on the land, and trying to say we cannot even park our "farm use" vehicles in the barnyard and all sorts of stuff. It's a real circus.... just adds to everyday life and stresses.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is the sign of a good "herdsperson" that you knew you were responsible to take care of him in whatever way was the best and most humane. Never easy to do.

How are your in-laws doing? Did everything get resolved with the cattle and equipment rustlers? Hope they spend a good portion of their life serving time for it as it is obvious they will not learn any other way. Better to have them incarcerated than out continuing to cause trouble.
Cattle prices here are getting a bit better. Don't look for any great surge, but they are definitely up from the horrible lows in Nov and Dec. Wish we had had some extra cash back then to take advantage of the very low prices on a bunch of bred heifers. We never buy bred heifers anymore as you don't know what you are getting, but we knew where these had come from, and should have bought a bunch and gone through and culled some older poorer preforming cows this spring .

Unfortunately, there was no money since we hadn't sold hardly any calves, and we are now fighting a neighbor that is bringing a lawsuit because Verizon wants to put a tower on my son's land. It is much needed for the area as the service is spotty, but this one woman is a real PIA about everything, and now we are having to put money into a lawyer and all to fight her. It will be a good extra source of income, that is surely one of the perks.... but we need the service as I often don't have any at my house and the emergency crews don't either, in a large area this should serve. It is going to cost us close to at least 2 years income, from the tower, if we win. But not fighting her is not an option as we are not savvy enough to go to court on this by ourselves and she has a real SOB of a lawyer that everyone knows for being a lowdown #@$%$. She is mad because they turned down her application, then said that she was only applying to "get information" about it because they are an "eyesore" and all kinds of stuff. She is also suing him for not following the restricted covenants on the land, and trying to say we cannot even park our "farm use" vehicles in the barnyard and all sorts of stuff. It's a real circus.... just adds to everyday life and stresses.

The issues of the rustlers is somewhat resolved in that we got everything back that was stolen,biggest things being the 2 cows and the livestock trailer.
Not 100 per cent sure if Maurine''s mom has worked it out with the other farmer that the cows were eating his beans.
Sorry you are having trouble with the the other landowner.

Latest posts