One Fine Acre - 2023 4H Steer Project Update

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow, our shows here are about half Nigerians. Super competitive. I was ring steward for one and there were 29 in one Jr class. 29! There were so many at State fair that the judge picked out 12 and dismissed the rest in every class. Almost makes me want to come up there. But not enough to shave the goats again since our last show was 2 months ago and my "show-er" and "goat shaver" will be gone most of June.

I'm going to have to tell her about those clippers. She uses Oaster Clipmasters for most of the body with a plucking blade for the dark goats and a pair of Andes for legs, feet, faces, and udders. She usually gets lots of requests to shave for people but can only help a few since she has 15+ to do for most shows with just her own goats.

Good luck at the show! I can wait to see how will your herd does.

Typically Nigerians are the biggest group at our show too and they are for the state fair
A couple of breeders used to come but haven't been in last 2 year's
One is getting older and just can't bring as many.
And one farm that always shows here didn't get her does bred on time

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Goats are clipped so they are ready
Not so sure if we are
The show includes a 24 hour milk test
30 goats
Maurine is the supervisor of the test
So we were there tonight until 10

Last edited:

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am so far behind on journals but I want to mention something about the oat hay. I am not sure about oat, but I do know that wheat is SUPER high in phosphorus and oat may be as well. Just be careful feeding it to any bucks. You probably know this already but I would be kicking myself for not saying something if there were to a problem down the road.

Good luck at the show.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am so far behind on journals but I want to mention something about the oat hay. I am not sure about oat, but I do know that wheat is SUPER high in phosphorus and oat may be as well. Just be careful feeding it to any bucks. You probably know this already but I would be kicking myself for not saying something if there were to a problem down the road.

Good luck at the show.
Ideally they cut the hay before there are many oats which is what happened this year
Very short window on good oat hay and we got it this year..
And it doesn't last very long
Its a bridge down here
But what a beautiful harvest we had this year
Big wide green leafy hay.
Goats are all loving it

Edited:
There has already been a first cut of fescue too
We only feed fescue and oat hay for a month or so until we get some Bermuda in late June

Last edited:

Latest posts