One Fine Acre - 2023 4H Steer Project Update

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yayyy!! We got the confirmation of our Linear Appraisal from ADGA this weekend.
It is scheduled for June 13th at 1pm and we are the host farm. I'm not aware at this point if anyone else will be bringing animals or not.
Found out our appraiser is from Northern California.
@babsbag her name is Jennifer Tereba was wondering if you might be familiar with her or not?
She's a school teacher. What a cool summer job that would be for a school teacher who was a goat lover, to travel to the other side of the country and visit goat farms.

So, Maurine's big day with the opening of the Farmers Market was this past Saturday. It was a huge success. Good crowds and happy vendors. Most produce vendors were conservative with how much they brought and ended up selling out. The big strawberry farm ran out and went back and got more. We know of one produce vendor who sold $850 worth. All of the vendors were very happy. :celebrate

IMG_1461.jpg

IMG_1463.jpg

IMG_1464.jpg

IMG_1472.jpg

My lovely wife who made it all happen.

IMG_1475 (2).jpg

So, we like to drink fresh squeezed Orangeade at our house. We call them a "Cup of Sunshine". So, my daughter Rachel had the idea that we should sell homeade orangeade and lemonade at the Farmers Market.

So, I financed her little endeavor. A couple of heavy duty commercial type squeezers, the booth rental, oranges, lemons, sugar cups and ice and we were in businesss.

I was against it at first, because I thought it would just be more work for me.
But, we actually hired two teenage girls from the community to help. We paid them $8/hr. I figured if we could at least make enough to pay them then we would at least be giving a couple of kids a chance at a job, because it is real hard for teenagers to find part time jobs.

$330 in sales the first day.:ep

So we had enough to pay Rachel and the other two girls $50 each, and came out a little ahead.
IMG_1470.jpg
IMG_1471.jpg

My little "apprentice" Rachel

IMG_1469.jpg

GLENMAR

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Looks like fun. Your new place is looking great. We are skipping Linear Appraisal this year.
Hoping to get back to it next summer.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Congrats on the success of the market. When I get the dairy done I will be hitting those places as a vendor. Not sure how to milk goats AND have time to sell product but will work on that. 330 on the juice, that is awesome; way to go.

I do know the name Jennifer Tereba, she has judged many of our goat shows, but I am having a hard time putting a face with the name so I can't say that I know her...it is more that I know OF her. Popular name around here for sure.

Hope your appraisals go well.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Congrats on the success of the market. When I get the dairy done I will be hitting those places as a vendor. Not sure how to milk goats AND have time to sell product but will work on that. 330 on the juice, that is awesome; way to go.

I do know the name Jennifer Tereba, she has judged many of our goat shows, but I am having a hard time putting a face with the name so I can't say that I know her...it is more that I know OF her. Popular name around here for sure.

Hope your appraisals go well.

Of course on the internet you can find about anyone.
Her farm was Liberty Ranch and she has merged with Starlet Lace and the new farm is Cadence Dairy Goats.

http://cadencedairygoats.webs.com/

Toggenburgs, Saanens, LaManchas and Recorded Grades.
Lots of nice animals. She is a judge, linear appraiser and does DHIR testing on her herd.

So, I think this lady knows a thing or two about a dairy goat.
I hope she likes mine :barnie

Last edited:

Latest posts