One Fine Acre - 2023 4H Steer Project Update

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
We ended up putting our lambs in the warehouse bldg to keep the well tank thingy from freezing, another went in the well house. We have an electric radiator in the apartment so the pipes don't freeze.
Last year the pipes didn't freeze out there but the toilet bowl did and we didn't realize it- when it thawed the front of the toilet cracked and broke off.:rolleyes:

A bit concerned for the Nubians. I may need to make ear muffs. I think everyone else will be ok.

Do kero heaters count as redneck fireplaces? :D

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have been running a small electric heater in our shop just to keep it above freezing so all the finishing products don't freeze. We have 3 of the redneck fireplaces down there for when we are actually working in the shop.

I don't think I have heard of "frame" soup before. Have to look that up.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
We ended up putting our lambs in the warehouse bldg to keep the well tank thingy from freezing, another went in the well house. We have an electric radiator in the apartment so the pipes don't freeze.
Last year the pipes didn't freeze out there but the toilet bowl did and we didn't realize it- when it thawed the front of the toilet cracked and broke off.:rolleyes:

A bit concerned for the Nubians. I may need to make ear muffs. I think everyone else will be ok.

Do kero heaters count as redneck fireplaces? :D
Don't the Kero heaters smell ?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Dh cleans and trims the wicks regularly so they don't smell unless they run out of fuel... we refill them before that happens usually.
We have gas logs but it is expensive.
Woodstove is great. Propane heats the main house but it is old and has old insulation so some rooms just need a little extra especially with this cold.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Dh cleans and trims the wicks regularly so they don't smell unless they run out of fuel... we refill them before that happens usually.
We have gas logs but it is expensive.
Woodstove is great. Propane heats the main house but it is old and has old insulation so some rooms just need a little extra especially with this cold.
I know what you mean

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
So my bastard/bastardized heat pump is 2 years old
It is 14 Seer
It's not a split system you can get those 16 seer
But some of the older ones were 10 seer
It's going to be 0 degrees tonight
I wonder if I set on 70 can it do it
Maybe
I think the house is insulated well so we will see